Changing Synchronization Journal using Powershell

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version
Post Reply
ProblemSolver823
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed May 27, 2026 9:12 pm

Fri Oct 09, 2026 3:25 pm

I am using the Starwind VSAN Free version v8-8.0_20260526_20086 on a three-node cluster that I manage with Powershell. When I update Windows, I drain all VMs from one node and verify that the starwind devices are fully synced before rebooting one the nodes. When one of the cluster nodes restarts after the update the devices go through a full synchronization that takes a long time, especially on the priority 0 device. This takes a very long time to go through this resync on three nodes. The devices are setup with a ram-based write-back cache. Based on reading in the forum, changing to a disk-based cache should help with a fast resync on reboot of one of the nodes and keep the write protection on the device without changing to a write-through for reads only. I plan to use the ModifySyncJournal. ps1 script that is packaged with Starwind to change the cache from RAM based to DISK based. I want to make sure that in using that script as to whether or not the cluster device has to be placed into maintenance mode in order to use that script or does it apply the changes in the header one node at a time so that the cluster does not have to be shutdown and stays in sync. Also, I want to verify that the path to the file-based synchronization journal must already exist but that Starwind will create the file for each device separately in that location for each device that uses a file-based sync journal. Can you please verify these two things before I run the modifysyncjournal script.
yaroslav (staff)
Staff
Posts: 4503
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:11 am

Fri Oct 09, 2026 11:15 pm

Check this out https://knowledgebase.starwindsoftware. ... may-start/. If you have a write-back cache, changing the synchronization journal will not help to avoid a full sync.
The best way to avoid a full sync would be (ordered by priority):
-avoiding restart mishandles
-removing the write-back cache.
-continuous disk-based journal.
ProblemSolver823
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed May 27, 2026 9:12 pm

Sat Oct 10, 2026 6:02 pm

This actually occurs during a Cluster Aware Updating Run of the three nodes. I use the CAU.ps1 as a pre-update script to verify that the nodes are all in synchronous state before updating each node. Usually, node 2 (Starwind priority 1 node) will update first and all nodes are in synch when Cluster Aware Update starts so that node begins updating quickly. All VMs are drained from node 2 to either node 1 or node 3 and the update installs and afterward the computer will reboot. Once the node 2 computer reboots and there are no more updates on node 2, the VMs fail back to node 2, then generally node1, which is the priority 0 node in Starwind, will be the next to start to update. Most of the time, the CAU.ps1 script on node 1 will cause cluster aware updating to wait for only a few minutes for node 2 to get synchronized before node 1 begins the update process. Once all the nodes are in synchronization, the CAU.ps1 script finishes and then node 1 will drain its roles to node 2 and node 3 and begin updating. After node 1 updates, the computer reboots and the VMs fail back to node 1 and then node 3 (priority 2) will begin its update process. However, after node 1 reboots, the CAU.ps1 script will not let node 3 proceed because the starwind nodes are not in synchronization. That is when I check and see that all the disks on node 1 are having to perform a full resynchronization. As a result, the cluster aware update script has to wait for about 24 hours for node 1 to get back into synchronization before the updates can be applied to node 3. This is the problem that I am trying to resolve. This was never an observed issue on a 2-node cluster, it has only occurred since moving to a three-node cluster. This also may be the result of windows updates that cause multiple reboots during cumulative updates and servicing stack updates. Potentially, the fast synchronization starts on the first reboot and then if there is a second reboot before the fast resync finishes, it triggers a full resynchronization.

When you say "avoid restart mishandles", is there anything else that I can do to prevent that? I am verifying that the machines are synchronized using the CAU script before the update and reboot by Windows. When you say remove the write-back cache, do you mean to remove caching completely or change it from write-back to write-through?
yaroslav (staff)
Staff
Posts: 4503
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:11 am

Sat Oct 10, 2026 7:21 pm

Well, restarts are handled well here.
Completely remove write-back cache. Write-through might not bring any benefit for HAsystems.
Post Reply