Stawind Virtual SAN Service Keeps Stopping

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Anatoly (staff), Max (staff)

craig.bestford

Tue Sep 03, 2024 12:57 pm

I'm running into issues where the SAN service keeps stopping.

Running v8.0.0 Build 15469 R14

When looking in the Windows Logs, i get event 7034, the StarWind Virtual SAN Service terminated unexpectedly.
Service name is C:\Program Files\StarWind Software\Starwind\StarWindService.exe

Both nodes are fresh Server 2022 Std installation and was working and full synchronize for about 3 week. Known working Server 2022 Std server working as HyperV for the past 2 years.

I came in one morning to find both nodes had failed and the cluster storage was offline.
Recovered all the images, rebuilt the systems and last week the same thing happened, although I recovered one node without building form scratch.
This has stayed online so far.

The second node after configuring replication manager StarWindService.exe stops after 10-20 minutes and the service either needs manually starting or the server needs to be rebooted.
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Tue Sep 03, 2024 1:24 pm

Hi,

Do you have any antivirus running in the systems?
Please pull the support bundles from the systems as described here https://knowledgebase.starwindsoftware. ... collector/ and upload them here https://www.starwindsoftware.com/support-form. Use 1208803 and link to this thread in the body of the request.
Also, if you have any minidumps, please attach them too.
craig.bestford

Tue Sep 03, 2024 2:10 pm

Hi yaroslav

I complete a uninstalled then a fresh install of the Starwind vSAN software and this made no difference.
After 17 minutes of adding the HA images the service would go offline.

Antivirus is just Windows Windows Defender. I have disabled defender and again 15 minutes after starting the service it failed.

We have two HA images (one 2TB NVMe, one 8TB SSD), I am currently trying just the single 2TB synchronization for now to see what difference this mark.
Both synchronization were running at the same time
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Tue Sep 03, 2024 2:15 pm

Does the StarWind service go down on all nodes at a time? If it goes down only on one node, please stop StarWind VSAN there. I will check the logs and I will keep you posted.
craig.bestford

Tue Sep 03, 2024 2:26 pm

Just the node that the synchronization is happening on goes down. The second node stays up and running.
This is currently a live cluster, so would be unable to stop the service on the working node as it would bring our production environment to a stop.

Even with a single image synchronizing, the service still stops.
This is on the smaller 2TB volume rather than the 8TB. As soon as the service is restarted it automatically starts to sync the 2TB volume.
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Tue Sep 03, 2024 2:33 pm

Stop synchronization from happening. You can just stop StarWindService on the affected not synchronized node.
craig.bestford

Tue Sep 03, 2024 2:43 pm

I'm not sure if I follow.

I need the nodes to be synchronized as currently the node that keeps going offline can only provide the MS cluster with the storage from the working node. If the working (syncronized) node goes down for any reason it will bring the whole cluster down.
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Tue Sep 03, 2024 3:00 pm

Please reach out to me in the case you have logged with support.