StarWind iSCSI SAN
StarWind Native SAN for Hyper-V

Convert VM from XenServer to Hyper-V

VM image converter (VMDK, VHD, VHDX, IMG, RAW, QCOW and QCOW2)

Moderators: art (staff), anton (staff), Anatoly (staff), Max (staff)

Convert VM from XenServer to Hyper-V

Postby georgeparker » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:30 pm

Hi, I'm new to StarWind V2V Converter....I've got the StartWind V2V Converter guide PDF and it says "Hypervisor Switch – StarWind V2V Converter supports all industry-standard hypervisors including Microsoft Hyper-V, VMware ESXi, Citrix XenServer". It then goes on to explain the various V2V converting options, "local file to local file", "VMware to Hyper-V Image file", "Convert VM from VMware to Hyper-V", "Hyper-V to VMware Image file", "Convert VM from Hyper-V to VMware", "Convert physical to virtual machine". So there's no mention of "convert XenServer VM to Hyper-V". Do I chose the "physical to virtual option"??

Regards, George.
georgeparker

Re: Convert VM from XenServer to Hyper-V

Postby Boris (staff) » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:20 am

George,

I believe at the moment you would need to have SMB or local access to the XenServer VM disk to be able to convert it. Nevertheless, I will make sure to pass this request to R&D for them to analyze possibilities of adding the scenario you mentioned to the main screen options.
Boris (staff)
Staff

Postby georgeparker » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:06 pm

Thanks Boris. Has anyone else performed a V2V from XenServer to Hyper-V using Starwind? If so, how?

Regards,
George.
georgeparker

Postby Boris (staff) » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:38 am

I believe someone from the community has done that for sure. In my previous post in this topic I suggested a workaround for that. It will not be able to convert a VM as a whole, but will take care of separate disks you would then get attached to a newly created Hyper-V VM.
Boris (staff)
Staff

Postby georgeparker » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:19 pm

Thanks Boris, but in your initial post, you did not mention which option should i chose, is it the “physical to Hyper-V convert” option?

I’ve tried Disk2VHD and that worked well. I installed this tool into the guest VM, mapped a drive to my Hyper-V host, ran the tool and it converted the volumes on the guest VM into .vhdx files on the Hyper-V host. Then I created a new VM on the Hyper-V host and attached the vhdx’s and it booted up fine. I then logged onto the newly created VM and uninstalled all rhe Xen related apps and drivers etc.

Regards,
George.
georgeparker

Postby Boris (staff) » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:28 am

Nice to hear Disk2VHD worked for you and your issue looks to be resolved. I thought I did tell you the option, and that was Local File. Anyway, just in case of any future need you may try that.
Boris (staff)
Staff

Return to StarWind V2V Converter