startport on windows 2003

Initiator (iSCSI, FCoE, AoE, iSER and NVMe over Fabrics), iSCSI accelerator and RAM disk

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

krishna

Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:17 am

Hi,

we purchased the EtherDrive SR1520, connected directly to the windows 2003 server and installed the starport trial version and I added the coraid device.

But how do i see the drive on my computer. when i go into the disk management, I see the disk but how do I initialize it so i can access the drive.

krishna
Val (staff)

Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:51 am

krishna wrote:Hi,

we purchased the EtherDrive SR1520, connected directly to the windows 2003 server and installed the starport trial version and I added the coraid device.

But how do i see the drive on my computer. when i go into the disk management, I see the disk but how do I initialize it so i can access the drive.

krishna
Hi Krishna,

To use a new disk in Windows you need initialize and format it in the Disk manager.
After that the disk's partitions will be available to the rest of the Windows system.
Best regards,
Valeriy
krishna

Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:18 am

how do i initialize and format it in the Disk manager. as with any other drives, it automatically pops up in disk manager. but for this its not.
erase

Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:22 am

To initialize and format disk you need to open "Disk Management" tool.
(Right click on "My Computer" select "Manage", choose "Disk Management" element.)

Right-click on disk and choose "Initialize Disk". This will open initialization dialog. Choose your disk and press "Ok". Now your disk is initialized.

To create new formated partition right-click on unlocated space and choose "New Partition...". After completing this wizard you can access Coraid disk via My Computer.
Val (staff)

Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:33 am

krishna wrote:how do i initialize and format it in the Disk manager. as with any other drives, it automatically pops up in disk manager. but for this its not.
Krishna,
Please download the recent StarPort 3.0.4 from our web-site and try it again.
There are several issues that have been fixed in the version.
Best regards,
Valeriy
draxsr

Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:06 pm

Have Starport 3.0.4 and after initializing the RAID can see it using Starport but when I try to initializing the disks using Windows Disk Management, the disk shows as 'unknown' and 'unreadable' with a small red circle icon with a white hash through it. There's no initializing options, only properties which show the device is working properly. What am I missing?
Val (staff)

Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:42 pm

draxsr wrote:Have Starport 3.0.4 and after initializing the RAID can see it using Starport but when I try to initializing the disks using Windows Disk Management, the disk shows as 'unknown' and 'unreadable' with a small red circle icon with a white hash through it. There's no initializing options, only properties which show the device is working properly. What am I missing?
Hi,
Are you trying to implement mirroring of a local hard drive to a remote iSCSI/AoE disk mounted with StarPort?
This approach does not work stable with remote SAN disks.
Generally speaking dynamic disks are not recommended to use with software initiators.
Microsoft ever removed support of dynamic disks from the MS iSCSI inititor v2.x because of it's impossible to have 100% stable results with it.

As an alternative way we have implemented a replication plug-in for our StarWind iSCSI target that can be used for replication or mirroring of local and remote disks.
The plug-in is in its beta-stage now. If you need it please drop an email to support@rocketdivision.com.
Best regards,
Valeriy
johnf

Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:09 pm

Configuration:

Windows 2000 Professional
Starport v3.0.4 Build 0x20060620
Coraid SR1520
Connected directly via ethernet cable (we also connected it via a crossover cable)
8 Sata 750 gig drives - Raid 5 - 1 Shelf, 5251.094GB, (2) 750 GB Drives Spare

Starport states the drive is connected
Disk management shows Disk 1 with and red x basic, unreadable.

We are trying to format the drive for use, through the disk management, but to no avail.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, John
Val (staff)

Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:22 pm

johnf wrote:Configuration:

Windows 2000 Professional
Starport v3.0.4 Build 0x20060620
Coraid SR1520
Connected directly via ethernet cable (we also connected it via a crossover cable)
8 Sata 750 gig drives - Raid 5 - 1 Shelf, 5251.094GB, (2) 750 GB Drives Spare

Starport states the drive is connected
Disk management shows Disk 1 with and red x basic, unreadable.

We are trying to format the drive for use, through the disk management, but to no avail.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, John
Hi John,

Only Windows 2003 SP1 supports disks > 2TB in size.
Windows 2000 can not use such big ones.

You need to divide the Coraid device into several lblades less than 2TB to be able use them in Windows 2000/XP x86.
Best regards,
Valeriy