Clustering and microsoft iSCSI initiator

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

ehinkle27

Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:36 pm

Does starwind work with microsoft clusters and can I use the ms initiator to connect to this target.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:07 am

1. Yes, MS iSCSI initiator (just as any other iSCSI initiator talking iSCSI draft 20 aka iSCSI 1.0 from *ANY* operating system) is fully supported. However we do recommend to use our free StarPort as iSCSI initiator just b/s the performance would be more adequate with our software.

2. There is nothing preventing StarWind from working with MS clusters. Go on with building new one and we'll do our best to help you.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:10 pm

I was wondering if anyone could help out with a problem I'm having.

I'm using StarWind and StarPort from one Win2k computer to another Win2k which will be a cluster node. The target Win2k computer is running StarWind, creating an 1gb .img to share for the cluster server, which is running StarPort.

I'm trying to use the drive created on the cluster as the initial quorum drive for a Win2k cluster. I am able to create a basic NTFS 1gb drive on the cluster server pointing to the target Win2k box. During the installation process it even creates the MSCS directory on the drive.

The problem I am having is, when the cluster service trys to start it dies when trying to initialize the qourum.

Any pointers? or suggestions?

Could it be the way the device is configured on StarWind?
Val (staff)

Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:35 pm

Hi,

Thank you for the feedback.

We have recently found an issue that leads to the current StarWind release is unable to work in clustering architectures.
We are working on it. I hope it will be fixed in a couple of days.
Best regards,
Valeriy

Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:47 pm

Thanks for the fast response. The support at RDS definitely rocks.

If there is any information I could provide or need help test StarWind with clustering, let me know.

Thanks,

Chris
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:22 pm

First of all thank you for cooperation and tons of a feeback. For doing your best to make our software better. Looks like we know what's the problem is so please give us some time to do our homework before we'll return with working and rock solid stuff.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software