Convert VM from XenServer to Hyper-V

VM image converter (VMDK, VHD, VHDX, IMG, RAW, QCOW and QCOW2), P2V migrator

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

georgeparker

Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:30 pm

Hi, I'm new to StarWind V2V Converter....I've got the StartWind V2V Converter guide PDF and it says "Hypervisor Switch – StarWind V2V Converter supports all industry-standard hypervisors including Microsoft Hyper-V, VMware ESXi, Citrix XenServer". It then goes on to explain the various V2V converting options, "local file to local file", "VMware to Hyper-V Image file", "Convert VM from VMware to Hyper-V", "Hyper-V to VMware Image file", "Convert VM from Hyper-V to VMware", "Convert physical to virtual machine". So there's no mention of "convert XenServer VM to Hyper-V". Do I chose the "physical to virtual option"??

Regards, George.
Boris (staff)
Staff

Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:20 am

George,

I believe at the moment you would need to have SMB or local access to the XenServer VM disk to be able to convert it. Nevertheless, I will make sure to pass this request to R&D for them to analyze possibilities of adding the scenario you mentioned to the main screen options.
georgeparker

Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:06 pm

Thanks Boris. Has anyone else performed a V2V from XenServer to Hyper-V using Starwind? If so, how?

Regards,
George.
Boris (staff)
Staff

Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:38 am

I believe someone from the community has done that for sure. In my previous post in this topic I suggested a workaround for that. It will not be able to convert a VM as a whole, but will take care of separate disks you would then get attached to a newly created Hyper-V VM.
georgeparker

Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:19 pm

Thanks Boris, but in your initial post, you did not mention which option should i chose, is it the “physical to Hyper-V convert” option?

I’ve tried Disk2VHD and that worked well. I installed this tool into the guest VM, mapped a drive to my Hyper-V host, ran the tool and it converted the volumes on the guest VM into .vhdx files on the Hyper-V host. Then I created a new VM on the Hyper-V host and attached the vhdx’s and it booted up fine. I then logged onto the newly created VM and uninstalled all rhe Xen related apps and drivers etc.

Regards,
George.
Boris (staff)
Staff

Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:28 am

Nice to hear Disk2VHD worked for you and your issue looks to be resolved. I thought I did tell you the option, and that was Local File. Anyway, just in case of any future need you may try that.
Jess_ss

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:16 pm

The following is the best-known conversion method provided by Microsoft: Converting VMDK to VHD and attaching a converted virtual disk to a new Hyper-V VM with PowerShell. This method can be used when you have the virtual disk files available, but not all the VM files (such as VMX configuration files). You can use this method to convert both VMware Workstation VMs and VMware ESXi VMs.
georgeparker

Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:16 am

Thanks for that. I ended up converting my Xenserver VMs using Disk2VHD. You install it onto the VM you want to convert and map a drive to the target hyper-v host, run the tool and it creates .VHDx files on the target host. Then just create a new VM in hyper-v and attach the .VHDx, remembering to attach the C: .vhdx first. Best to create gen-1 vm, it worked great for me.
Michael (staff)
Staff

Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:23 pm

Hi georgeparker,
Thank you for sharing your experience!