Backing up vSAN Windows CSV drives with SC-DPM failure

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

Michael.Blanchard2

Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:10 pm

I have 4 windows CSV volumes that are on top of a 2 node Starwind vSAN configuration that I cannot get to backup. I'm trying to backup the c:\clusterstorage drive and it just gives me this error:
Failure occurred while adding one or more of the volumes involved in backup operation to snapshot set. Please check the event log on <server> to troubleshoot the issue. (ID 30290 Details: Internal error code: 0x809909E2)

I've disabled the hardware VSS writer, and it just fails the same error on both servers.
Boris (staff)
Staff

Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:17 pm

Be sure to check best practices for making backups in a StarWind VSAN based environment https://www.starwindsoftware.com/best-p ... practices/
In a nutshell, you are expected to make backups of VMs in the cluster rather than backups of storage.
Michael.Blanchard2

Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:52 am

OK, so there is no solution to backing up a scale-out file server?
Boris (staff)
Staff

Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:37 pm

If you use a Scale-out File Server (not to be mixed with general purpose file server), you are still supposed to be running some VMs on top of it, which you are able to backup from their respective hosts. Am I not correct?
Michael.Blanchard2

Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:50 pm

ok, so apparently all this time I was using a scale out file server for the wrong reason. The reason i'm using it the way it is now is i was trying to avoid having a virtual drive for a VM nested inside a starwind virtual drive that is sitting on a raid array.
Boris (staff)
Staff

Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:57 am

Michael,

You might still want using it the way it is setup now. Yet, for ordinary file servers there is a cluster role called General Purpose File Server.
If you still use a Scale-out File server, mind that the thing you are trying to backup is not C:\ClusterStorage, but the volumes mounted into it, which would be something like C:\ClusterStorage\Volume1 etc. Try reconfiguring your backup software and pointing it to the right direction.
Let me know if any additional info is required.