Not Enough Space Error During Conversion

VM image converter (VMDK, VHD, VHDX, IMG, RAW, QCOW and QCOW2), P2V migrator

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

steve.hulsberg

Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:51 pm

When the conversion process starts it goes through the following:

Started
Creating virtual machine
Success
Opening image file (from ESXi host-Disk2)
Success
Creating output image file
Error creating file (1) [2]There is not enough space on the disk.
Opening image file (from ESXi host-Disk1)
Success
Creating output image file
Success: Created file on (Hyper-V host)
Converting

What is the out of space message referring to?
It does not say which drive, so is it referring to the drive that the converter is installed on?
Does it store the data someplace locally that needs to have equally to the amount that is being converted?
I have a lot of memory and vCPUs assigned but it doesn't seem to be using much resources?
What is the best way to speed up the conversion process?

This is the most current release.
steve.hulsberg

Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:13 pm

I went in and increased the size of the c:\ where the converter is installed to double what the conversion should be, but it still failed with the same error.
steve.hulsberg

Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:27 pm

I see that they finally added logging. When I looked at the log I saw this:
2/15 14:05:06.828 1e40 Facility ???INFO: WrapperHyperV::waitJob:
instance of Msvm_ConcreteJob
{
Cancellable = FALSE;
Caption = "Adding Resource";
CommunicationStatus = NULL;
DeleteOnCompletion = FALSE;
Description = "Adding Resource";
DetailedStatus = NULL;
ElapsedTime = "00000000000000.049365:000";
ElementName = "Adding Resource";
ErrorCode = 32773;
ErrorDescription = "'VM1' failed to add resources. (Virtual machine ID 1CE2AF4)\n\n'VM1' failed to set folder permission for \\\\VM1: The specified path is invalid. (0x800700A1). Verify that the 'VM1' machine account has read/write access to the share. (Virtual machine ID 1CE2AF4)";

The VM shows up in Hyper-V but does not look complete.
Oleg(staff)
Staff

Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:31 pm

What is the out of space message referring to?
It does not say which drive, so is it referring to the drive that the converter is installed on?
Does it store the data someplace locally that needs to have equally to the amount that is being converted?
I have a lot of memory and vCPUs assigned but it doesn't seem to be using much resources?
The converter is referring to the place, where the VM will be stored. Please check the place on the drive where host-Disk2 will be stored.
steve.hulsberg

Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:24 pm

The converter is referring to the place, where the VM will be stored. Please check the place on the drive where host-Disk2 will be stored.
This does not make sense. I looked in ESXi at the size of the VMDK in ESXi and the total is around 888GB. In Starwind, this CSV has 2TB assigned to it and there is nothing else in that drive so it has the full 2TB. The only thing I can think of is, these drives are thin provisioned for 2TB and the converter is expanding them so with overhead it puts it over 2TB.

When the converter runs, does it expand the drives? I noticed that when the VM itself is selected there is no questions about what type the converted drive should be but when you expand the VM and then select a VMDK it then gives you the options of "Growable".

It seems to me that it should ask you when you select the VM, how it should convert the drives.
steve.hulsberg

Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:14 pm

I tried another VM, which is smaller and it processes the first drive and then gets to "Attach disk to virtual machine" then it throws "Error attach". I looked in the logs and the error message is the same as before. "Failed to set folder permissions"
Oleg(staff)
Staff

Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:32 am

Hi Steve,
Unfortunately, at the current moment, StarWind V2V converter can convert only to fixed size disks, that is why you are getting 2 TB drive after conversion. I have already passed the feature request to our R&D team about the possibility of choosing drive type after conversion.
Regarding "Error attach", that is known issue, should be fixed with the next build. As a workaround, you can manually attach the disk after conversion.
steve.hulsberg

Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:03 pm

Oleg(staff) wrote:Hi Steve,
Unfortunately, at the current moment, StarWind V2V converter can convert only to fixed size disks, that is why you are getting 2 TB drive after conversion. I have already passed the feature request to our R&D team about the possibility of choosing drive type after conversion.
Regarding "Error attach", that is known issue, should be fixed with the next build. As a workaround, you can manually attach the disk after conversion.
What do you mean only fixed disk? If this is the case why when you go through the manual process it gives you the option for grow-able or fixed? Are you saying that from the VMware side it will only support fixed but can create a grow-able Hyper-V file?

Having to wait for all of these builds is frustrating. Do you guys have anyone who actually beta tests these before releasing them? It seems like we all keep finding new issues every-time and are forced to wait. I was really wanting to use your product but it is looking like the converter is really half backed and something like 5nine will be a better option.

What is the timeline for these fixes?
Oleg(staff)
Staff

Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:29 am

Hi Steve,
Sorry, you can select the disk type, correct.
Our R&D team made a lot of changes to the latest builds of StarWind V2V Converter. We are continuously working under Converter and other StarWind products improvements. Since StarWind V2V Converter is a free product, we are developing one with the help of the community as well.
And thank you for your involvement.
steve.hulsberg

Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:31 pm

Sorry, you can select the disk type, correct.
Our R&D team made a lot of changes to the latest builds of StarWind V2V Converter. We are continuously working under Converter and other StarWind products improvements. Since StarWind V2V Converter is a free product, we are developing one with the help of the community as well.
And thank you for your involvement
Any update on the next build? I think if you are a current customer that there should be a customer build or something similar. This conversion tool is an important piece in utilizing your paid vSAN software. I like that it is free, but if it doesn't work right then free or not, it does not do us any good.

Steve
Oleg(staff)
Staff

Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:28 am

Hi Steve,
We will keep you updated once the new build will be released.
As for now, please try to convert the VM drive itself and then create the VM on the location you need with this drive.
steve.hulsberg

Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:51 pm

Oleg(staff) wrote:Hi Steve,
We will keep you updated once the new build will be released.
As for now, please try to convert the VM drive itself and then create the VM on the location you need with this drive.
November of last year you said the "attach error" would be fixed but it is still an issue. What is the update on this? It has been around 6 months!

Thank you
Oleg(staff)
Staff

Thu May 02, 2019 9:26 am

Hi Steve,
I have sent you the build for testing.