IP address

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

shawn_nee

Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:20 pm

I have downloaded the most current versions from the site of Startport/wind. I am trying to get starport to recognize the local drives and the LAN (remote) drives. I did go into the conf file to add the drives, but get lost on the IP address. I have gone in and checked the lan address and the physical ip on both computers, but it doesnt pick up the remote system to locate the drives on it. I have gotten it to recognize 1 of the local drives so far and still trying to get it to recognize the second local also. Any help on these 2 issues is greatly appriciated.

PS. I am a beta tester over at Alcohol Software and have followed the threads over there to settle all of this with no avail. Partly due to my less than extensive knowledge of computers.

**edit** I believe I may have posted in the wrong forum feel frre to move it if so.
Alex (staff)
Staff

Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:33 pm

shawn_nee wrote:I have downloaded the most current versions from the site of Startport/wind. I am trying to get starport to recognize the local drives and the LAN (remote) drives. I did go into the conf file to add the drives, but get lost on the IP address. I have gone in and checked the lan address and the physical ip on both computers, but it doesnt pick up the remote system to locate the drives on it. I have gotten it to recognize 1 of the local drives so far and still trying to get it to recognize the second local also. Any help on these 2 issues is greatly appriciated.

PS. I am a beta tester over at Alcohol Software and have followed the threads over there to settle all of this with no avail. Partly due to my less than extensive knowledge of computers.
Well. StarPort is a client part. StarWind is a server part. StarPort is able to connect to devices shared by StarWind on the same or remote computer. So all what you have to do is:

1. Install StarWind on a computer where devices (hard drives) are located. Let it be remote computer.

2. Share physical devices or create virtual ones via editing StarWind.conf file. See examples in "StarWind configuration (English).pdf", 3.4.x. Do not forget to restart StarWind service.

3. Install StarPort on a client computer. From this computer you will connect to devices on the remote computer.

4. Run StarPort, choose Add device wizard, enter IP address or name of the remote computer - you will see all devices shared by StarWind. Choose device you want top connect, StarPort will map it as a local device.

That is all.
Best regards,
Alexey.
shawn_nee

Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:49 pm

So I dont need StarPort and StarWind on both systems, just one on each?

I went into the Conf file on starwind and added each of the drives I wanted to have networked. If I am correct I needed to write both as

add \\.\D: -timeout:108000 -sessions:2 -share:"rw" (example)

Correct. Then on the client system when I go to add them The IP address only shows the local system. Is that because I installed Starwind on it also?
Alex (staff)
Staff

Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:21 am

shawn_nee wrote:So I dont need StarPort and StarWind on both systems, just one on each?
Exactly. To be more precise you should install StarPort everywhere you want to use shared devices, StarWind - everywhere these devices are located.
shawn_nee wrote: I went into the Conf file on starwind and added each of the drives I wanted to have networked. If I am correct I needed to write both as

add \\.\D: -timeout:108000 -sessions:2 -share:"rw" (example)
Incorrect. First of all \\.\D: is a hard drive partition, not hard drive itself. StarPort/Wind operate with devices, not single partitions. This limitation can be removed using ImageFile device (see below).

Second it is dangerous to use hard drive in shared configuration. Such file systems as FAT, NTFS and others do not support shared configurations (some cluster-oriented files system required). And StarWind has no special support of sharing harddrives. We have plans to add this functionality. So if you don't want to loose you data use point-to-point connections only.

Now how you should share a partition. Use the following line:

add ImageFile0 -file:"\\.\D:" -share:"" -sessions:1 -header:0

ImageFile plugin will create virtual harddrive device using partition "\\.\D:". "-header" should be 0 if the partition is formatted. So client will not corrupt existing file system.

If you share unformatted partition use "-header:65536"

add ImageFile0 -file:"\\.\D:" -share:"" -sessions:1 -header:65536

StarWind will warn you (see its logs) if you set this parameter incorrectly.
shawn_nee wrote: Then on the client system when I go to add them The IP address only shows the local system. Is that because I installed Starwind on it also?
"127.0.0.1" is set by default. Change it to IP or name of computer running StarWind.
Best regards,
Alexey.

Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:53 pm

First of all \\.\D: is a hard drive partition, not hard drive itself
Sorry, I should have changed the drive letter. I didnt want to share the HDD, just the burners and readers.

I did get it to work last night and it ran very smoothly. This is one of the coolest programs I have run across. The kid in me was just fascinated with being able to open and close the drive door from a remote location. :lol:

Thanks you for your help also pass along my thanks to KOOLER and Valery for their help in the Alcohol forums.
Alex (staff)
Staff

Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:01 pm

Anonymous wrote:
First of all \\.\D: is a hard drive partition, not hard drive itself
Sorry, I should have changed the drive letter. I didnt want to share the HDD, just the burners and readers.
Then you string is OK. But be careful with sharing options (share and sessions). Simultaneous access to a device while you are burning CD-R is not a good idea. 8)
Anonymous wrote: I did get it to work last night and it ran very smoothly. This is one of the coolest programs I have run across. The kid in me was just fascinated with being able to open and close the drive door from a remote location. :lol:

Thanks you for your help also pass along my thanks to KOOLER and Valery for their help in the Alcohol forums.
Great! Thank you too for the interest to our products.
Best regards,
Alexey.