Tape redirector setup

Tape drive and auto-loader redirector over iSCSI

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

dkopet

Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:32 pm

I am attempting to use the tape redirector to share a Python 06408 SCSI tape drive on an Adaptec 39160 card through Windows 2012 R2 to a Windows 2003 32 bit server VM.

1. Do I need to load ISCSI as a feature first or does your software add all the necessary components?

2. when installing the software, since everything is contained on one box/server (in my scenario) is there any benefit to adding the real IP (i.e. 192.168.1.x) as opposed to the loopback (127.0.0.1)?

3. If I add both the loopback and an IP will there be any issues?

4. I installed ISCSI on Windows 2003 and it seems to see the tape drive but how can I confirm that it is actually connecting? I have two different versions of PowerShell (one on the Windows 2012 r2 host and the other on the 2003 VM) and the commands I do in one do not work on the other, so checking ISCSI from the VM is not within my grasp.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:33 am

1) Yes, iSCSI stack should be pre-configured (client) and we act as a server, this one is on our side.

2) No benefit.

3) You only use one, there's no MPIO with physical redirector (device has own limitations).

4) I'd suggest to configure everything with a GUI. WS2003 isn't something we support now, so there might be some backward compatibility hiccups.
dkopet wrote:I am attempting to use the tape redirector to share a Python 06408 SCSI tape drive on an Adaptec 39160 card through Windows 2012 R2 to a Windows 2003 32 bit server VM.

1. Do I need to load ISCSI as a feature first or does your software add all the necessary components?

2. when installing the software, since everything is contained on one box/server (in my scenario) is there any benefit to adding the real IP (i.e. 192.168.1.x) as opposed to the loopback (127.0.0.1)?

3. If I add both the loopback and an IP will there be any issues?

4. I installed ISCSI on Windows 2003 and it seems to see the tape drive but how can I confirm that it is actually connecting? I have two different versions of PowerShell (one on the Windows 2012 r2 host and the other on the 2003 VM) and the commands I do in one do not work on the other, so checking ISCSI from the VM is not within my grasp.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

paruccone

Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:06 pm

I'm trying to circumvent a problem with Adaptec's SCSI driver on 64bit systems documented here: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.p ... ive.12769/

That's how I discovered Tape Redirector. Problem being that tape redirector is now part of Virtual SAN which itself only installs the service on 64bit versions of Windows. How can I install tape redirector on a 32bit host? Maybe a link to download a previous version?

Thanks!
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:46 pm

We don't do 32-bits anymore, sorry about that :( You might find some old builds but we don't have anything to look if there will be any issues :( I'm really sorry about that!
paruccone wrote:I'm trying to circumvent a problem with Adaptec's SCSI driver on 64bit systems documented here: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.p ... ive.12769/

That's how I discovered Tape Redirector. Problem being that tape redirector is now part of Virtual SAN which itself only installs the service on 64bit versions of Windows. How can I install tape redirector on a 32bit host? Maybe a link to download a previous version?

Thanks!
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

paruccone

Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:57 am

thanks Anton that sounds like an option but where can I find the older version of Tape Redirector? I tried to send you the email I used for registering tape director via PM but seems like writing you through PMs is blocked.
Boris (staff)
Staff

Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:29 pm

paruccone,

Please submit a support ticket addressing me, with reference to this thread.