Linux 2.0 Crashes when Copying a Big File

Initiator (iSCSI, FCoE, AoE, iSER and NVMe over Fabrics), iSCSI accelerator and RAM disk

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

mykola

Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:37 pm

Hi there.

I had some problem using Microsoft iSCSI Initiator. So, I couldn't connect to the iSCSI target. Discovery works, however connection always fails.
I downloaded StartPort. No problem with connection to the target so far.
However, when I'm copying a big file to a newly created drive target side (Linux EdgeWare 2.0) badly crashes every time. I have to reboot my NAS then.

Any ideas what needs to be checked?

Tested on:
Client - StarPort + Windows 2000/XP/2003
Server - NAS + iscsid, Linux QSINAS 2.6.8-35cesmp #1 SMP Wed Oct 13 07:12:56 PDT 2004 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:52 pm

Unfortunately UNH iSCSI target is far from being stable... Try using Ardis (old and feature-less) or some commercial code (recommended) f.e. from PyX technologies.
mykola wrote:Hi there.

I had some problem using Microsoft iSCSI Initiator. So, I couldn't connect to the iSCSI target. Discovery works, however connection always fails.
However, when I'm copying a big file to a newly created drive target side (Linux EdgeWare 2.0) badly crashes every time. I have to reboot my NAS then.

Tested on:
Server - NAS + iscsid, Linux QSINAS 2.6.8-35cesmp #1 SMP Wed Oct 13 07:12:56 PDT 2004 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

mykola

Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:56 pm

anton (staff) wrote:Unfortunately UNH iSCSI target is far from being stable... Try using Ardis (old and feature-less) or some commercial code (recommended) f.e. from PyX technologies.

Tested on:
That's kind of sucks :( I am using Ardis iscsi target.
How could we use it if it's far away from being stable.
People who delelop this should not even bother other people to use it unless it's stable. Looks like Linux's still deeply siting in "beta" mode if it's posible to crash it in 3 seconds. Oh, well...
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:09 pm

"Every single lamb is responsible for his own horns!" (c) my theory of possibilities University professor

I'm not going to discuss Linux beta or alpha stage and Ardis iSCSI target here - there are more on topic news groups and I'm quite short in time. What I can recommend - purchase commercial iSCSI target (like StarWind from Rocket Division Software or PyX Technologies or WASABI ones if you're in need to stick with Linux) and have support. Or use free code and keep your problems.
mykola wrote:
anton (staff) wrote:Unfortunately UNH iSCSI target is far from being stable... Try using Ardis (old and feature-less) or some commercial code (recommended) f.e. from PyX technologies.

Tested on:
People who delelop this should not even bother other people to use it unless it's stable. Looks like Linux's still deeply siting in "beta" mode if it's posible to crash it in 3 seconds. Oh, well...
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

mykola

Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:14 pm

anton (staff) wrote:"Every single lamb is responsible for his own horns!" (c) my theory of possibilities University professor

I'm not going to discuss Linux beta or alpha stage and Ardis iSCSI target here - there are more on topic news groups and I'm quite short in time. What I can recommend - purchase commercial iSCSI target (like StarWind from Rocket Division Software or PyX Technologies or WASABI ones if you're in need to stick with Linux) and have support. Or use free code and keep your problems.
mykola wrote:
We've bought it (iscsi) with the NAS, and spent $10,000 on that. All software comes with hardware. All software is commercial. And we could buy StartPort to use it with our existing iscsi targets. However, as I reported, StarPort crashes storage OS instantly. That was the reason to figure out "why". I mean, what's wrong with that?
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:22 pm

First of all it's kind of strage somebody sells hardware with free Ardis iSCSI target... On your place I'd report this stuff to Ardis Tech guys - sounds like a software piracy and GNU license violation to me.

Second I've told you try using other iSCSI initiator (like f.e. Linux UNH or Cisco) or maybe hardware iSCSI HBA to reproduce the problem. If everybody works fine and StarPort make problems - we'll try to find out what's wrong. If StarPort is the only initiator working and rest just don't work at all - just dump your $10K hardware and shoot the guy who've purchased it. I don't see why RDS staff should investigate Ardis problems. We're not paid for this.

BTW, what did hardware vendor say to your complains? Can you update software?
mykola wrote:
anton (staff) wrote:"Every single lamb is responsible for his own horns!" (c) my theory of possibilities University professor

mykola wrote: That's kind of sucks :( I am using Ardis iscsi target.
We've bought it (iscsi) with the NAS, and spent $10,000 on that. All software comes with hardware. All software is commercial. And we could buy StartPort to use it with our existing iscsi targets. However, as I reported, StarPort crashes storage OS instantly. That was the reason to figure out "why". I mean, what's wrong with that?
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev