Advice with DPM/HyperV

Tape drive and auto-loader redirector over iSCSI

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

nameduser

Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:44 am

Hi

I've got a server running windows server 2012 with the hyper v role installed. Attached to the Hyper V server is a Quantum Super Loader 3.

Using StarWind Tape Redirector should I be able to present the tape drive to a VM, more specially a VM which has DPM 2012 R2 installed?

Is it doing as passthrough? What are the performance impact on the Hyper V host? Would there be any network degradation?

Is there any documents on how to setup this up?

Thanks
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:39 pm

Yes, that's a planned scenario for Tape Redirector. See:

http://www.starwindsoftware.com/downloa ... redirector

No, it's not going to be any pass-thru. It's going to be an iSCSI connection from VM to host.

Sure there's a document for that. See:

http://www.starwindsoftware.com/styles- ... l-Tape.pdf
nameduser wrote:Hi

I've got a server running windows server 2012 with the hyper v role installed. Attached to the Hyper V server is a Quantum Super Loader 3.

Using StarWind Tape Redirector should I be able to present the tape drive to a VM, more specially a VM which has DPM 2012 R2 installed?

Is it doing as passthrough? What are the performance impact on the Hyper V host? Would there be any network degradation?

Is there any documents on how to setup this up?

Thanks
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

nameduser

Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:43 pm

I'm currently only looking to present a SAS tape library/autoloader to a virtual machine (DPM). I think the free version should work, however getting some issues.

As previously stated, I have a Quantum Superloader 3 attached to a Dell R270 via SAS. I can see the tape drive via the Starwind software when I've selected the Physical Tape Drive option, however but when I select “Physical Tape Auto-Loader/Changer it comes up blank - i'm sure this is the option I need?

If I select the Physical Tape Drive Option, will the virtual machine software; DPM, be able to change/select tapes as required?
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:49 pm

If you have true autoloader device then you should have two SCSI devices enumerated: tape drive and CPU/processor "control" device. If you see only first one then no, it's not how it should work. DPM will change tapes only if both devices are visible and redirected. Please send us both StarWind log from a StarWind service running on host and also Windows Device Manager screenshot, section with tape devices and everything associated with them. Thanks!
nameduser wrote:I'm currently only looking to present a SAS tape library/autoloader to a virtual machine (DPM). I think the free version should work, however getting some issues.

As previously stated, I have a Quantum Superloader 3 attached to a Dell R270 via SAS. I can see the tape drive via the Starwind software when I've selected the Physical Tape Drive option, however but when I select “Physical Tape Auto-Loader/Changer it comes up blank - i'm sure this is the option I need?

If I select the Physical Tape Drive Option, will the virtual machine software; DPM, be able to change/select tapes as required?
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

nameduser

Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:36 am

Apologies for the delay.

After rebooting a few times and installing the updated drivers, i have now made an isci connection.

Now, do i use Isci initiator to present to the VM or do it via startwind?

Thanks.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:52 pm

StarWind Virtual SAN is a *SERVER* so you need an iSCSI initiator which is a *CLIENT* to "connect" to created virtual device exported by StarWind.
nameduser wrote:Apologies for the delay.

After rebooting a few times and installing the updated drivers, i have now made an isci connection.

Now, do i use Isci initiator to present to the VM or do it via startwind?

Thanks.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

nameduser

Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:31 pm

I've managed to create a connection using iscsi initiator on the VM where I wish to present the tape drive.

Now - how do I actually associate the tape drive/ autoloader to DPM? What should I see in the device manager? Do I need to reboot?

I've refreshed/rescanned DPM 2012 but can't detect the tape drive - any ideas?
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:17 pm

Post scans of a Device Mgr on a) host and b) VM connected to host in a loopback. Tape hardware should be the same. If not - you've associated tape drive rather then a tape loader with your virtual instance.
nameduser wrote:I've managed to create a connection using iscsi initiator on the VM where I wish to present the tape drive.

Now - how do I actually associate the tape drive/ autoloader to DPM? What should I see in the device manager? Do I need to reboot?

I've refreshed/rescanned DPM 2012 but can't detect the tape drive - any ideas?
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

nameduser

Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:52 pm

Sorted. Thanks for your help.

A bit strange how it works, but got there at the end.

So:
Ensure the drivers for the tape drive/autoloader are up to date
Install the Starwind Software on the Hyper V Host:
Add a host (Device where the tape drive is plugged into) using the starwind console
Add a device (Advanced) and select Autoloader option select the autoloader using the starwind console

Select the iscsi target Using the starwind mangement console
run the "add the device (advanced)" wizard again to attached the tape drive/autoloader.
Connect using the iscsi intiator on the VM you want to present the host
Rescan in device manager
Update the drivers on the VM to ensure they are up to date
rescan in DPM.
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:37 pm

Thanks for sharing your feedback!
Please let us know if there is anything that we can be useful with!
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
Global Engineering and Support Manager
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com