Hyper V .vhd to ESX .vmdk File

VM image converter (VMDK, VHD, VHDX, IMG, RAW, QCOW and QCOW2), P2V migrator

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

damon

Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:35 pm

Hello,

I am currently having this issue with the StarWind Converter when I try to bring a microsoft hyper-v .vhd file to a VMware ESX server as a .vmdk file.

The vhd file:
MS Virtual PC growable image (Dynamically expanding virtual hard disk)
Size: 18 GB (max size: 233 gb)

Once I have converted it as a vmdk file, the ESX host can not find the operating system for the virtual machine.

What can I do to allow me to transfer this .vhd file to be a workable VMware VM?

Or is there a setting missing in the converting process?
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:53 pm

Hi!
I just want to let you know that currently we are trying to reproduce your issue in our test lab.
I will give you the heads up once we`ll have any news.
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
Global Engineering and Support Manager
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com
damon

Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:04 am

Hi Anatioly,

To be more specific, I have converted a hyper V .VHD file and transformed it into a vmdk file using VMware Preallocated and SCSI options.

When I booted it up, it says missing operating system. So I used the windows 7 64 bit CD to rectify the problem. Running a series of bootrec and repairs of the partition I was able to get windows started. Unfortunately, at this point is where I am stuck; it seems to give me the blue screen of death with the error code of STOP 0x0000007B.

I suspect that originally the VHD file uses IDE hard drives and VMware uses SCSI to control the VM.

Could I have chosen the wrong setup or is my speculation correct? If so, is there any ways to make it boot up again?

Thanks!
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:17 pm

Can I ask you to upload the input and output files somewhere and drop us or me directly through the PM the download link?
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
Global Engineering and Support Manager
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com