to developers - Drive letter issue

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

whitus@volny.cz

Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:23 pm

Hi,

just want to report something that's more of a mild annoyance than a bug actually. You might find it worth considering though.

The thing is that once I map say a DVD-R drive from a different machine, the drive is assigned a letter under which it is visible among other local/mounted//network-mapped/whatever-else drives. I use mapped network shares quite a lot and I ran out into a situation where the remote DVD-R drive connected via StarPort got a drive letter that was already in use by a network share I connected before mounting the DVD-R in StarPort. I don't know to what extent you are able to decide which drive letter is picked when connecting remote iSCSI drives but I guess there has to be a way to do that. Either look for a free unused drive letter or give user the opportunity to pick a letter to have the drive mapped to.

Thank you for StartPort/Wind. It is a great software piece.
whitus@volny.cz

Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:15 pm

I guess this should have been posted in StarPort thread. Sorry about that.
Val (staff)

Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:53 am

whitus@volny.cz wrote:Hi,
just want to report something that's more of a mild annoyance than a bug actually. You might find it worth considering though.

The thing is that once I map say a DVD-R drive from a different machine, the drive is assigned a letter under which it is visible among other local/mounted//network-mapped/whatever-else drives. I use mapped network shares quite a lot and I ran out into a situation where the remote DVD-R drive connected via StarPort got a drive letter that was already in use by a network share I connected before mounting the DVD-R in StarPort. I don't know to what extent you are able to decide which drive letter is picked when connecting remote iSCSI drives but I guess there has to be a way to do that. Either look for a free unused drive letter or give user the opportunity to pick a letter to have the drive mapped to.

Thank you for StartPort/Wind. It is a great software piece.
Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

StarPort doesn't assign drive letters to its mounted devices itself. This is a duty of your operation system.
Windows 2000/XP/2003 usually assigns drive letters to new devices in ascending order. Say if your last used drive letter is F: the next disc volume or CD-ROM device will be assigned G: and so on.

To minimize conflicts with network share mappings I'd recommend you to use network share mappings in descending order (Z:, Y:, X:,...).
Best regards,
Valeriy