restore rebuild of failed node

Public beta (bugs, reports, suggestions, features and requests)

Moderators: art (staff), anton (staff), Anatoly (staff), Max (staff)

eliripoll

Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:14 pm

Hi I'm not sure if I should post here or in the regular forum about my issue, since it seems to be more of an intentional feature design.

I wanted to ask about the replication manager feature in SWS. why are you not allowed to specify the ISCSCI target Name to be used when creating a partner (whether using an existing target with no device or creating a new one). this especially goes for restoring a SWS device. If i'm missing something please let me know I searched on the site for any in depth directions but the closest I found was just a high level overview here
http://www.starwindsoftware.com/forums/ ... t3025.html

when I first did a test restore I happened to be restoring it to the default data store that I initially provided SWS so even though I couldn't define my target I could live with it (although annoyed I couldn't choose my target name). But our SWS servers are going to have 2 Storage volumes not 1, for different workloads. so this time when I went to do another node restore not only can I not pick what target name to use on the other node but I have to let the SWS device get created on the wrong storage volume. Does this mean that before I create or rebuild SWS replication partners I have to preemptively change the default data store first?

We use standardized nomenclature for our iscsi targets and device(imgs) names and folders to help us know whats-what, but the replication process with v8 does it for you and it is cryptic at best. and if a node does go down if it creates a new iscsi target we have to go to all the clients and add a new iscsi target to them adding to work for a restore.

My question is can you elaborate on why when going through the replication manager it was decided to not have the screens "Name iscsi target" and "Choose location" during rebuild a node. I get the default data store thing but at the very least allow us to add more than one default data store and have the wizard choose from those options.

Thanks

note the rebuild was done because after turning on a test node that had been off for a week the replication manager said it could not see the other node even when I rebooted and verified communication between them , it would never attempt to resync. that's another post
Alex (staff)
Staff

Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:29 pm

Of course, we'll bring back the option to rename target for replica.
Regarding the path to data for new replica - you can do it without changing default storage pool path: create partner device on the partner node, and select it as a replica in replication wizard.
And we are thinking how to add path selection to replication wizard without making it more complex then it is.

We have tried to make the wizard as simple as it is possible. We have lost some usability for advanced scenarios to gain maximum simplicity for most widely used scenario.
Best regards,
Alexey.
eliripoll

Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:42 pm

Ok Thanks Alex for the info. Nice to know that the "target name" will be there in RTM, I try out the steps that you mentioned, this week. appreciate your guys work

thanks again
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:16 pm

Doing our best to keep you guys happy :) Any more GUI recommendations?
eliripoll wrote:Ok Thanks Alex for the info. Nice to know that the "target name" will be there in RTM, I try out the steps that you mentioned, this week. appreciate your guys work

thanks again
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software