StarWind SMI-S and integrations with SCVMM 2012

Public beta (bugs, reports, suggestions, features and requests)

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:38 pm

This Friday. Stay tuned.
hendryjl wrote:How's that 10 days coming? Still holding out to use this instead of hacking my Sentinel :-)
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:54 pm

OK, so...

1) V8 beta is out. Give it a try.

2) You can download R2 of a System Center from MS (preview edition for now but I don't think they will change a lot as version should go Gold in a couple of weeks,
OEMs get stable build long before people could buy it on 18th of October). SCVMM R2 should work fine with StarWind's SMI-S implementation.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Yuriy (staff)
Staff

Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:22 pm

hendryjl,

All in one place here:
http://www.starwindsoftware.com/forums/ ... t3306.html

Please, read the manual carefully :)
You may ask questions right in the specified topic.

Thank you and good luck! :)

--
Yuriy
hendryjl

Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:49 pm

The final builds of Windows Server 2012 R2 popped up on MSDN on the 9th. I'm downloading them now and upgrading my environment. Was waiting for those to give it a try (knew final build was close and wanted to save the extra steps). I'll keep you posted.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:36 pm

Grab RTM we're playing with for a while. It does work with V8 and people had successfully done this already. See:

http://www.ms4u.info/2013/09/managing-s ... g-vmm.html

Hope this helped :)
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

zaf

Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:11 pm

Is it at all possible to use deduplicated storage with SCVMM?
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:27 pm

Yes, you create the pool of a particular type (LSFS or FLAT) and then you create new entities from it.
zaf wrote:Is it at all possible to use deduplicated storage with SCVMM?
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

zaf

Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:02 pm

anton (staff) wrote:Yes, you create the pool of a particular type (LSFS or FLAT) and then you create new entities from it.
Unless I'm doing something totally wrong, the Type choices in the pool are 'Image file' and 'IBV' ??
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:10 pm

IBV would be eventually replaced with LSFS closer to the release date.
zaf wrote:
anton (staff) wrote:Yes, you create the pool of a particular type (LSFS or FLAT) and then you create new entities from it.
Unless I'm doing something totally wrong, the Type choices in the pool are 'Image file' and 'IBV' ??
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Jerel

Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:03 pm

Please forgive me if this is the wrong place, but I am new to StarWind and am looking for input. I currently have two Win 2012 servers in a cluster as HyperV Hosts with StarWind Native SAN for Hyper-V V6 installed (30 day trial) with a 4TB HA disk created and working correctly, as in it fails over successfully and VMs are running from this HA disk. The 4TB disk images are physically located on D drive of each of these servers and the servers have 10Gb Fiber between them for syncing. This cluster has now been added to our instance of SCVMM 2012 SP1 and I want to add the storage to SCVMM so I can deploy a private cloud.

I believe that I need to install the SMI-S agent to make this 4TB HA disk available to SCVMM. I did the install for the SMI-S agent, but I don't see my 4TB HA Disk. Instead I see "StarWind Storage Array - Storage" with 3 storage pools "ConcretePool_Storage_Flat" "ConcretePool_Storage_HA" and "ConcretePoos_Storage_ThinProvisioned" with 199.90GB total space. I have no idea where these are coming from.

1) Is what I am attempting to do even a good idea? (Have the StarWind HA disk images located physically on the HyperV Hosts and available to SCVMM.) Or is it a requirement to have the StarWind SAN on different physical servers than the HyperV Hosts for SCVMM Storage?

2) If it is worth pursuing, any suggestions on how to fix my install? Do I need to upgrade to the V8 Beta and/or Win Server 2008 R2? (I have MSDN account so Win update is possible.)

Thanks for any suggestions or help!

Jerel
Yuriy (staff)
Staff

Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:08 am

Jerel,
This cluster has now been added to our instance of SCVMM 2012 SP1 and I want to add the storage to SCVMM so I can deploy a private cloud.
Good idea!
I believe that I need to install the SMI-S agent to make this 4TB HA disk available to SCVMM. I did the install for the SMI-S agent, but I don't see my 4TB HA Disk. Instead I see "StarWind Storage Array - Storage" with 3 storage pools "ConcretePool_Storage_Flat" "ConcretePool_Storage_HA" and "ConcretePoos_Storage_ThinProvisioned" with 199.90GB total space. I have no idea where these are coming from.
Note: SMI-S Agent reports only devices that was created withing it. Devices created with use of StarWind Management Console ignored by SMI-S Agent.
1) Is what I am attempting to do even a good idea? (Have the StarWind HA disk images located physically on the HyperV Hosts and available to SCVMM.) Or is it a requirement to have the StarWind SAN on different physical servers than the HyperV Hosts for SCVMM Storage?
StarWind SAN, HyperV can be placed either on different physical servers or the same physical server. SCVMM preferably to place on a separate host.
2) If it is worth pursuing, any suggestions on how to fix my install? Do I need to upgrade to the V8 Beta and/or Win Server 2008 R2? (I have MSDN account so Win update is possible.)
Yes, you definitely should update to StarWind V8 beta and install recent version of SMI-S Agent. Use SCVMM 2012 R2 installed on Windows Server 2012 R2.
StarWind V8 Beta, recent SMI-S agent and documentation available here:
http://www.starwindsoftware.com/forums/ ... t3306.html
pmancuso

Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:06 pm

I am attempting to add the Storage Provider in SCVMM after following the directions to configure a Target on the iSCSI SAN and to install the agent. When attempting to add the storage provider I am not able to click "Next" in the dialogue window "Specify Discovery Scope". I select the Provider protocol, SMI-S CIMXML and type in the Provider IP address and select an appropriately configured Run As account with domain admin privileges but the "Next" button never highlights. All firewalls on all servers in the environment are off.

Any thoughts?

Paul
Yuriy (staff)
Staff

Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:33 am

pmancuso,

It seems that there is a problem with your SCVMM install.
Notice that most recent version of StarWind SMI-S Agent compatible only with SCVMM 2012 R2 that installed on Windows Server 2012 R2 (or higher).

--
Best regards,
Yuriy.
choinga

Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:18 am

Where is v8 beta or RTM? All I see on the downloads page is v6. Are the betas hidden somewhere else?
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:57 pm

Beta was out maybe a month ago. We have Beta-2 now.

You need to be a member of the beta team to get a mail with download URL. It's also published inside Beta forums.
choinga wrote:Where is v8 beta or RTM? All I see on the downloads page is v6. Are the betas hidden somewhere else?
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev