V8 LSFS Failed on first 2 basic tests

Public beta (bugs, reports, suggestions, features and requests)

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

CCI

Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:44 am

On my workstation, Win8/64 I have used SW Free version 6 for many months. (I also have a paid SW Native SAN v6 in production).\

I have a physical Drive d:\Starwind_ISCSI with a 65GB image file, exported as Q: with 3 hyper-v vms. This has been working flawlessly for months.

I Upgraded to v8 beta on my workstation. On another physical drive f:\Starwind I create a 40GB LSFS container. Mounted it as R:

First thing i go to do is copy one VM 30GB from Q: to R: All looks good for first few mins, copying at around 90MB/sec. ABout half way through file copy, speeds fluctuate. OK could be caused by many things.. Near 90% of the file copy, speed goes to 0 bytes/sec. I left it for 10 mins, no change.

Event log filling with "Target did not respond in time for a SCSI request. The CDB is given in the dump data."

Ended up having to reboot..
On next boot I delete the new 40GB LSFS container and target.
I copy the 3 Hyper-V VMs from iSCSI Q: to physical f:\

Now make a new LSFS container 40GB. Mounted as R: again.
Copy from F: one of the VMs 30GB to new R:
Again, failed at just over 90%.

EventLog:
A connection to the target was lost, but Initiator successfully reconnected to the target. Dump data contains the target name.
Target did not respond in time for a SCSI request. The CDB is given in the dump data.
Target did not respond in time for a SCSI request. The CDB is given in the dump data.
SW-v8-A.JPG
SW-v8-A.JPG (192.57 KiB) Viewed 8500 times
:(
Should I post logfiles, or just wait for next beta?

Brian
CCI

Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:55 am

Had to reboot again after that. On next reboot, Starwind service did not auto start, so I start it manually.

Now connect with SW console, and I see a warning that it is trying to mount the LSFS device, but just stays like that forever ..
CCI

Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:01 am

After a few more mins, SW service crashed.
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:14 am

You are welcomed to upload your logs to some file hosting service, and share the link with us.
Nevertheless, as you may know W8 is not supported OS - you should run SW on WS2008R2 or WS2012.
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
Global Engineering and Support Manager
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:42 am

OS does not matter here. Fine for evaluation. Logs are hardly in need as we did not see anything like this. I've pointed to the thread to other guys who mastermind LSFS. Thanks!
Anatoly (staff) wrote:You are welcomed to upload your logs to some file hosting service, and share the link with us.
Nevertheless, as you may know W8 is not supported OS - you should run SW on WS2008R2 or WS2012.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

Vitalii (staff)
Staff

Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:27 am

Please provide me with additional information:
- What are the parameters of the LSFS device ? Did you use default parameters for LSFS device (i.e. "LSFS block size", "Deletion support" etc. ) ?
- What cache did you use and what was its size?
- Is the service running on the same machine as device is mounted or the device is mounted from another machine through network?
- What are sizes of .spspx files (it is not visible from snapshot)?
- How much free space is there on your disk D: ?

Thank you
CCI

Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:10 pm

I used all defaults for LSFS
Defaults for cache as well (It used 128MB write-back)
All on the same machine.
.spspx files were 4GB I believe.
D: had about 90 GB Free

Anyone else try on Windows 8 moving large 30GB+ file into LSFS
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:38 am

May I doublecheck with you what is your question exactly, cause I`m not sure that I understoud you correctly?
JFYI the .spspx file is the one where teh data resides.
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com
CCI

Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:08 am

Just wanted to add the tests mentioned above, and several other basic tests I have done have all passed with beta 2
No issues to report.

Im now on Windows 8.1, and have several Win2k12 R2 VMs running on LSFS beta2 storage
All is good :)
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:56 am

Just wanted to add the tests mentioned above, and several other basic tests I have done have all passed with beta 2
No issues to report.

Im now on Windows 8.1, and have several Win2k12 R2 VMs running on LSFS beta2 storage
All is good :)
Thanks for the feedback :)

just want to add that we highly recommend to run our software on WS editions starting from 2008r2.
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com