AoE for Hyper-V Core 2012 ?

Initiator (iSCSI, FCoE, AoE, iSER and NVMe over Fabrics), iSCSI accelerator and RAM disk

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

harrah

Fri May 24, 2013 8:05 am

Hi,

I am trying to get an AoE initiator running on Hyper-V Core 2012. The Starwind AOE initiator seems to install, however the GUI obviously will not run. Is there a way to get this up-and-running and if so how?
Your assistance is greatly appreciated,
Kind regards,
Eric
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri May 24, 2013 9:29 am

Eric don't use AoE for this config as it's not supported. There's no SCSI-3 persistant reservation equivalent inside AoE spec so distributed locks should be emulated on initiator rather then target level (something we never agreed on with the guys who had initially created AoE). As a result they had created pseudo-HBAs (basically re-branded ancient Intel Ethernet adapters with a custom ROM) to support Hyper-V and other updated hypervisors and we had staled any further AoE development and investments into this technology.

I'd recommend stop begging for troubles and use iSCSI as it's ages superior compared to AoE and supported by MS and StarWind out-of-box.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

shumila

Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:34 pm

This is the first test I have done as I wasn't even sure if its possible. I kno that there was a plugin for the Bart PE disk and so I started here.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:22 am

StarPort is a discontinued project, BartPE has been stopped developed for years and whole future of AoE is very questionable: it did not get mass adoption as people preferred iSCSI and (eventually, maybe...) FCoE. On your place I'd think twice before investing your time into this :)
shumila wrote:This is the first test I have done as I wasn't even sure if its possible. I kno that there was a plugin for the Bart PE disk and so I started here.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software