file i/o error (4) [1450]

VM image converter (VMDK, VHD, VHDX, IMG, RAW, QCOW and QCOW2), P2V migrator

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

mach

Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:55 am

Hi, I am converting .img files to .vhd (growable) on an external usb drive (same source and target drive) with V2V Image Converter 5.6 (build 10052011). I have been lately getting the file i/o error (4) [1450] each time I run it (after a few hours of converting) and the conversion of course stops (progress indicating 100%, however it has evidently stopped prematurely and also no output file was created).

Can you please explain what does the mentioned error code mean?

(I suspect the drive or maybe some usb interface fault, but would be interesting to hear from you under what circumstances this error code is displayed - have googled around and haven't found anything similar..)

Thanks,
Miha
Vitalii (staff)
Staff

Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:06 pm

It seems that there is not enough disk space for converted image.

What is the size of your .img file?
How much free space do you have on the drive where .vhd file is saved?
mach

Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:41 pm

Hi, the .img file has 400GB and there is another 480GB free on the drive (1TB)..

The converter also doesn't even let you start if there is not enough free space (which is IMHO in case of growable .vhd rather inconvenient, since - for example - my resulting .vhd when the conversion succeeded last time was actually bellow 300GB because not all allocated .img is full).

And also as mentioned above in the brackets, the same configuration (with the same free space, but other/older .img file) has already succeeded with conversion in the past.

Anyway, if I understand you correctly, this error should be related to disk space? (Which is quite "mysterious"..)

Thanks again,
Miha
Vitalii (staff)
Staff

Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:50 pm

It seems so.

I'll try to reproduce this case.