Cannot get Physicaldisk's to show up

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

Dave

Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:23 pm

Several questions/problems:

1.) When I add \\.\Physicaldisk0 or 1 it says that it fails a test in the log in the config file

2.) Is there a 1024 limit on the RAM drive (This appears to be the case when I access it from the client)?

3.) What format are IMG files for images? How can I create an IMG file?

Thanks!
Dave
anton

Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:50 pm

Dave,

1) Could you plase forward us latest .log from \logs subdirectory of StarWind? It would help us to tell why we cannot use \\.\physicaldrive0 or 1. For now I can *guess* it can't be locked into exclusive use (files opened, swap file placed etc).

Actually it's a *bad* idea to use physical paritions for parallel access. Images files are very good option.

2) No. There is no such limit. BTW, are you talking about RAM disk in StarPort (local, memory grabbed from local machine) or remote (RAM disk created by StarWind?)

3) This is just bunch of sectors. With header (unused for now). I'll send you utility to crease sparse files for images (would be included to the next build of StarWind).

Thanks!

Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev
Dave

Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:09 pm

Still cannot get a RAM Disk of more than 1024MB now... Something worthy of noting is that this machine has 8GB of RAM and is running in PAE mode. It is Windows 2003 Enterprise. I am trying to remotely mount this from another machine and it only shows up as 1024MB, for a while I got a 2048MB (2GB) but now that doesn't even seem to work.

Thanks,
Dave
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:29 pm

Dave,

just to clarify... You're creating RAM disk with StarWind and trying to connect to it remotely? Can you try to create RAM disk with StarPort *ON THE SAME MACHINE* and check out how much RAM would it be able to grab?

Thanks!
Dave wrote:Still cannot get a RAM Disk of more than 1024MB now... Something worthy of noting is that this machine has 8GB of RAM and is running in PAE mode. It is Windows 2003 Enterprise. I am trying to remotely mount this from another machine and it only shows up as 1024MB, for a while I got a 2048MB (2GB) but now that doesn't even seem to work.

Thanks,
Dave
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

Dave

Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:20 pm

It says that there is a 1024MB limit on creating a RAM disk (this is creating it locally). I tried entering a greater number and it says that it will not do it. Any other thoughts?

And to clarify my original question - yes, I am trying to create and remotely mount a 4GB ramdisk with StarWind.

Thanks Again,
Val (staff)

Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:33 pm

Dave wrote:It says that there is a 1024MB limit on creating a RAM disk (this is creating it locally). I tried entering a greater number and it says that it will not do it. Any other thoughts?

And to clarify my original question - yes, I am trying to create and remotely mount a 4GB ramdisk with StarWind.

Thanks Again,
Hi Dave,

1) We don't allow creating ramdisks more than 1024MB in size in StarPort (local mode) - because this can damage system stability.

2) Current StarWind version also supports ramdisks 8-1024MB.
We'll add support of large ram disks in the next StarWind version.
Best regards,
Valeriy
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:32 am

I guess we're just unable to grab move then approx. gigabyte of RAM in user process. Will switch to Address Windowing Extensions (AWE) soon. Sorry for providing wrong information -- this question just came out of my mind...

Thanks!
valery (staff) wrote:
Dave wrote:It says that there is a 1024MB limit on creating a RAM disk (this is creating it locally). I tried entering a greater number and it says that it will not do it. Any other thoughts?

Thanks Again,
Hi Dave,

1) We don't allow creating ramdisks more than 1024MB in size in StarPort (local mode) - because this can damage system stability.

2) Current StarWind version also supports ramdisks 8-1024MB.
We'll add support of large ram disks in the next StarWind version.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

Alex (staff)
Staff

Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:21 pm

Dave,
Dave wrote: 2.) Is there a 1024 limit on the RAM drive (This appears to be the case when I access it from the client)?
1024MB limit on the RAM drive has been removed. If you want to test this functionality write me (lx@rocketdivision.com) - I will send you updated installation.

Now RAM disk supports up to 2TB RAM drives (W2K and up). Sure if OS is support such amount of RAM. :) NT 4 is still supported but as soon as it does not support AWE you will be able to allocate up to 2GB (1.5-1.7GB in fact).

Also you will need to grant "Lock Pages in Memory" priviledge to the account under which StarWindService.exe is running if you want to use AWE. Built-in SYSTEM does not require to have this priviledge though.
Best regards,
Alexey.