StarWind V5.9/6.0 Beta

Public beta (bugs, reports, suggestions, features and requests)

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

sammybendover

Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:44 am

I didn't know if there was any advantage to doing that, i figured 1 filesystem as opposed to two would be better :)

I won't worry about it then anymore.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:07 am

No it's not. At least not in this particular case.
sammybendover wrote:I didn't know if there was any advantage to doing that, i figured 1 filesystem as opposed to two would be better :)

I won't worry about it then anymore.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

JRutski

Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:03 pm

StarWind-

Can you provide some guidance about deduped disks - specifically with ESX. With dedupe, you say to thick-provision vmdks - which is done.

My lab setup\example:
2 300GB dedupe disk presented to ESX

In VMware, both show around 130GB free - this is equal to each of the vmdks total size. Now the confusing part:

On the StarWind server, one of the spdata files is showing ~454GB and the other is showing ~134GB. With the deletion support, does StarWind monitor the amount of space remaining on the actual volume that the spdata files are residing?

Is the deletion support enabled by default?

A great addition to the console would be to show counters or graphically how much space was actually taken up and the amount of blocks that are deduped, etc. In theory, I should be able to oversubscribe my storage...but if ESX is reporting total 'allocated blocks' instead of 'available (with dedupe) blocks', how would that be possible?

A bit confused. Thanks guys!
Alex (staff)
Staff

Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:05 am

Deletion support is disabled by default as it is an experimental feature. This option can be turned on on the first page of deduplicated device wizard.
At the current time spdata keeps all the data that has been written to DD device from the start of its life.

We are working on functionality that provides extended statistics on deduplication ratio and used space for deduplicated devices. It will be released with the next version of StarWind.

When free space on the volume where DD device resides, drops below 30% of the size of the volume, StarWind generates warning event.
This event goes to StarWind event log and to Windows event log when notifications are configured by default.
Best regards,
Alexey.
JRutski

Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:02 pm

Just realized that the latest build is 6.0.4768...I'm running 6.0.4703.

Is that why I'm missing that option (or just blind)?
Attachments
snipDD.JPG
snipDD.JPG (37.25 KiB) Viewed 44551 times
Alex (staff)
Staff

Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:11 pm

Yes, it will be near the "Cache metadata" checkbox.
Best regards,
Alexey.