StarWind iSCSI SAN V5.7 Build 20110524

Public beta (bugs, reports, suggestions, features and requests)

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

rchisholm

Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:34 pm

These tests were run on hybrid SSD and 15K systems. Each of the servers has 2 LSI 24 drive 620J JBOD's connected to a 9280-8E with CacheCade. Each server has a 40 drive RAID 60 of 15K Savvio's with 8 Intel X25-E 32GB SSD's for CacheCade reads.

We're ramping up to upgrade our entire order entry, billing, and reporting systems. We're also changing over to Xen Desktops for all access to the systems. Hence, all the new hardware and new Data Center.

Once we finish the change over to the new systems, I'll be able to repurpose the old server for the main database. Specifically, the 48 Intel X25-E 32GB SSD's in it. I also have a completely unused 9280-8E in each of the StarWind servers right now. Could get very interesting with what you are suggesting. :shock:
DavidMcKnight

Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:06 pm

Anatoly (staff) wrote:1)
Check is the string <imagedir path="*" flags="cmdfv" alias="Metadata" extensions="spmetadata"/> is present there. If not add it as it is on the example above and restart the StarWind service please.
Yes, that was the problem. Once I did that I was able to get past that particular screen no problem. In the end I still got a "Device test failed for 'DDDisk1'." So there is still a larger bug in there somewhere.
Bohdan (staff)
Staff

Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:09 am

Hi David,

We are expecting new StarWind beta build to be available in the next few days. I'll post the download link in this topic. It should solve the problem. Thank you for your help!
sls

Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:29 pm

We are testing this beta version on two HP DL180 servers. Each server has Intel dual port 10GB NIC. When we run the initial sync on the HA target, the sync channel is only 45% utilized. We have tuned all TCP/IP setting that could improve the speed but not able to push the sync channel any more faster. In the previours version from 5.3 - 5.6, the sync channel is only about 20% utilized. No matter what we do, the sync channel is not able to go over 35%. In this 5.7 beta version, it's making a little bit improvement but not good enough. This has been a question that a lot of people asked over and over - "Is there a way to fully utilize the sync channel and make it run 100% of the NIC speed?" :?: :?: :?:

Because of the HA storage writing speed very depends on the sync channel speed. If the sync channel is not able to run full speed, the storage is not going to be able to get full throughput. I think StarWind should really find a way to resolve this issue. As soon as this issue has resolved, StarWind should be perfect product. :P
Bohdan (staff)
Staff

Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:24 am

What is the underlaying storage speed on the HA nodes? Is it faster than 45% of sync channel? To perform synchronization, the data are read from the source HA disk and then are written to the destination HA disk, therefore the performance of source and destination underlaying storage impacts the sync channel utilization.
Bohdan (staff)
Staff

Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:19 pm

StarWind 5.7 was released. Thanks for your reports, suggestions and help!