Why StarPort vs MS iSCSI Initiator?

Initiator (iSCSI, FCoE, AoE, iSER and NVMe over Fabrics), iSCSI accelerator and RAM disk

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

ChrisKinsman

Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:37 pm

Can someone fill me in on why I might want to purchase StarPort as opposed to the iSCSI initiator that is provided by MS for Windows Server 2003?

Thanks,

Chris
awmsc

Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:49 am

Well, I thought that perhaps I might have fewer problems with the MS product. So far... wrong. These may be arcane problems but so far I have TWO concerns with msinitator. I have tried to notify MS of this, but who knows if it will be read? Problem #1: The latest 1.04b version contains a driver that is NOT mshql certified for Win2K. Go figger! Next problem: the MS initiator does not seem to create the following registry value entry: HKEY_Local_Machine\Hardware\Devicemap\SCSI\SCSI Port #\Driver (REG_SZ: IScsiPrt) which one might think it SHOULD create. (where #= SCSI # for the iscsi initiator hba) This has the untoward consequence that other programs, such as Veritas Backup Exec 9.x Disaster Recovery, fail to enumerate the SCSI values it needs (since the key may not exist.) and cannot create a bootable CD. Who KNOWS whether it is OK to add this value to fix the programs? So, Starport at least doesn't have this problem. ms iscsi requires W2K/XP/2003, I don't know whether Starport will work on w9x or otherwise.

Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:53 pm

Chris,

well, so far so good. Here we are:

1) Performance. I would not say MS initiator sucks but it would be easier to tune OWN iSCSI Intiator running against OWN iSCSI Target. B/s we have control over source code. I guess other storage companies would LOVE to do the same but they are on budget and have to limit their activities with target software only (target CAN be user mode app, service or whatever but you need to have extremely hardly trained team to create high performance iSCSI Initiator. Running in kernel. No choice!)

2) Features. We're positioning StarPort as virtual storage centre and not as just iSCSI initiator. RAM disk and virtual DVD is what we have now. We'll add hard disk image volume mounting soon and virtual CDs from other formats (just have treaty with CD emulator company not to do this for some $$$) pretty soon. It's better to have single driver and single product to be used as iSCSI initiator, RAM disk emulator and DVD emulator and not to have THREE products (MS iSCSI initiator, SuperSpeed and who-knowns-whow-names DVD emulator), right?

3) Look and feel. StarPort is easier to use compared to MS initiator, we plan to provide more localizations and extend manuals. MS does not have plans to localize MS initiator and have a bit nasty UI (from my point of view).

4) Price is not an issue. You get StarPort for free if you pay money for StarWind.

Is it enough or I should invent some more reasons? :)

Thanks!
ChrisKinsman wrote:Can someone fill me in on why I might want to purchase StarPort as opposed to the iSCSI initiator that is provided by MS for Windows Server 2003?

Thanks,

Chris
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:37 pm

Chris,

whoops... Previous posting was done by me. Just forget to logon from this machine :)

Back to your question. You're not FORCED to use StarPort with StarWind. We're providing you a nice OPTION (It's always good to have an option, isn't it?). If you love free iSCSI initiator -- it's up to use keep using it!

Thanks!
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

spiv

Sat May 20, 2006 3:24 pm

How about an update on Starport vs MS (or other) Initiator?

Certainly the date on your last post is old and the "because it is also free with Starwind" is no longer true, right?
anton (staff) wrote:Chris,

whoops... Previous posting was done by me. Just forget to logon from this machine :)

Back to your question. You're not FORCED to use StarPort with StarWind. We're providing you a nice OPTION (It's always good to have an option, isn't it?). If you love free iSCSI initiator -- it's up to use keep using it!

Thanks!
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Sat May 20, 2006 3:30 pm

No. StarPort is no longer free with StarWind. But it's the only Windows ATA-over-Ethernet initiator for CoRAID hardware and AoE software from other vendors.
spiv wrote:How about an update on Starport vs MS (or other) Initiator?

Certainly the date on your last post is old and the "because it is also free with Starwind" is no longer true, right?
anton (staff) wrote:Chris,

Thanks!
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software