Can't Initialize Disk

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

rrue

Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:23 pm

Installed Starwind Target, configured a Quorum disk for an MS Cluster with clustering enabled. Have tried it both with and without Asynchronous. No authentication (will need to turn on CHAP later).

Using the MS Initiator, I can attach, but when Disk Management kicks up the Initialize Disk wizard, initialization fails with the error "The Operation did not complete. Check the System Event Log for more information on the error." There is nothing in the Event Log.

Tried it again with the Starport Initiator. Same problem.

I've tried rebooting the client after changes, and restarting the Starwind service on the target.

Any ideas?
rrue

Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:03 pm

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the target and initiator in case I'd munged any config during trial and error. Uninstalled, rebooted, cruised the registry and removed any entries for "starwind" or "rocket division," rebooted again, reinstalled, set up default asynchronous image file targets with cluster support on.

Uninstalled starport from the client and went back to the MS initiator for now. Cleared all settings and re-added the disk. Rebooted and opened Disk Management. The Initialize wizard popped up and failed exactly the same. Fails the same if I right-click the disk and try Initialize Disk, BTW.

The target is running Win2K3R2 Standard SP2, fully patched.

The client is running Win2K3R2 Enterprise SP2, fully patched.
rrue

Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:19 pm

Tried it without clustering support just to see if anything would change (still broken).

Also, on opening Disk Management, "Connecting to Logical Disk Manager Service" takes a really long time, significantly longer than when connecting to other iSCSI targets. Is this significant?
Val (staff)

Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:03 pm

Hi,

The proble you reported looks strange.
Please send a log file from StarWind\logs\ to my email.

Thank you.
Best regards,
Valeriy