Share a Scanner

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

Jeslan

Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:30 pm

I would like to share a scanner, in its properties it say uses the \\.\Usbscan0 device. But when I want to add that device to Starwind It says to me an error. I am doing something wrong ?? How I could share the scanner ??.

Thanx very much. :)

Greetings,

- Jeslan -
Jeslan

Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:37 pm

Sorry, I have read now a post that talks about the starwind configuration. I should read it before post. Sorry.

Well, then I understand that an USB scanner can not be shared ?? This could be done in the future or it is completely impossible ??

Greetings,

- Jeslan -
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:24 pm

StarWind is mainly targeted as storage subsystem. Scanners (SCSI ones) just work b/s they work. We don't plan redirect USB scanners, FireWire mouses etc. That's totally different story.
Jeslan wrote:Sorry, I have read now a post that talks about the starwind configuration. I should read it before post. Sorry.

Well, then I understand that an USB scanner can not be shared ?? This could be done in the future or it is completely impossible ??

Greetings,

- Jeslan -
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

Jeslan

Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:30 am

Ok, It is a pity. But I understand the program target is the important work to do. :) The scanner and other working devices such that was what we can say "a collateral effect". :)

Greetings,

- Jeslan -
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:48 am

See, we're developing iSCSI software. SCSI traffic (also used by SCSI scanners) can be incapsulated in iSCSI protocol. Custom stuff (USB or whatever) -- cannot. That's the reason. Thank you for understanding.
Jeslan wrote:Ok, It is a pity. But I understand the program target is the important work to do. :) The scanner and other working devices such that was what we can say "a collateral effect". :)

Greetings,

- Jeslan -
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software