Porting disk created in WinTarget to StarWind

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

sporky

Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:46 am

I have a 900Gb disk that was created with Wintarget which I would like to move over to StarWind. Before moving the disk I created a 1Gb disk and put some data on it. Next I mounted the disk in StarWind to test the process. When I check the checked the disk in "Disk Management" it showed the disk to be blank.

As the size of the disk I would like to move is large I would like to know how to migrate the disk to starwind. I don't have enough disk space to create a new diks and copy the data across as disk space is limited in our test lab.
Val (staff)

Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:49 pm

sporky wrote:I have a 900Gb disk that was created with Wintarget which I would like to move over to StarWind. Before moving the disk I created a 1Gb disk and put some data on it. Next I mounted the disk in StarWind to test the process. When I check the checked the disk in "Disk Management" it showed the disk to be blank.

As the size of the disk I would like to move is large I would like to know how to migrate the disk to starwind. I don't have enough disk space to create a new diks and copy the data across as disk space is limited in our test lab.
Hi,

Wintarget uses a different format for its image files. That's why a WinTarget disk mounted with StarWind with default settings looks as blank one.

To mount an existing WinTarget image disk:
- Back up the file (optional)
- Open the StarWind Console< connect to the StarWind Service
- Choose 'Add device' -> 'ImageFile' -> 'Mount existing image'
- Specify the path to the WinTarget image disk
- Check 'Specify advanced options'
- Set 'Header size in sectors' = 1
- Click 'Next' and finish the 'Add device' wizard.

After that the disk's data will be accessible from remote initiators.

Note: StarWind does not change the image header used by WinTarget, so it will be possible to use it with WinTarget again without problems.
Best regards,
Valeriy
sporky

Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:51 am

Thanks for the infomation, I will testing it this evening and post back.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:25 am

Sure! However we'd *strongly* recommend to do original image backup in any case...
sporky wrote:Thanks for the infomation, I will testing it this evening and post back.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software