Adding logical partitions

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

bosyak

Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:33 pm

I'm trying evaluation version of StarWind 3.2.1 under Windows Server 2003 R2.
Can I add a logical disk partition (created by TrueCrypt or DriveCrypt) as iSCSI device target? SPTI module does't show such partitions.

Of cause, I can format this partition with NTFS and use 'Image File Device' module, but this will be much slower (up to 3 times), than accessing raw logical partition, especially on write operations because of NTFS logging (and I can't use FAT, because of 4GB file size limit).

Thank you!
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:21 pm

If DriveCrypt or TrueCrypt create valid device PDO - you would. If they are just filter drivers or disk class drivers - no chance.
bosyak wrote:I'm trying evaluation version of StarWind 3.2.1 under Windows Server 2003 R2.
Can I add a logical disk partition (created by TrueCrypt or DriveCrypt) as iSCSI device target? SPTI module does't show such partitions.

Of cause, I can format this partition with NTFS and use 'Image File Device' module, but this will be much slower (up to 3 times), than accessing raw logical partition, especially on write operations because of NTFS logging (and I can't use FAT, because of 4GB file size limit).

Thank you!
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

bosyak

Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:58 pm

I don't know what is 'valid device PDO'. TrueCrypt creates logical disk, I can Format, Defragment it. I can edit it with disk editor sector by sector. It is block disk device, created by means of windows mount manager facility. If StarWind does't support suchdisk-to-iSCSI, will it suport it in future?
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:09 pm

I've checked out TrueCrypt source code. It's based on disk class driver architecture so it has absolutely no chances to be picked up by SPTI. It's TrueCrypt design problem and not StarWind one. They sit just below file system driver (FAT or NTFS) and simply are not low enough to handle individual SCSI commands SPTI issues to them. So you have to:

1) Make StarWind use whole TrueCrypt partition. It's possible. Just use \\.\DriveLetterHere: instead of the image file name.

or

2) Use ImageFile container located on TrueCrypt partition.

or

3) Use other encryption software which has proper design.

or

4) Pay to RDS for doing NRE work to add encryption directly to ImageFile.
bosyak wrote:I don't know what is 'valid device PDO'. TrueCrypt creates logical disk, I can Format, Defragment it. I can edit it with disk editor sector by sector. It is block disk device, created by means of windows mount manager facility. If StarWind does't support suchdisk-to-iSCSI, will it suport it in future?
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software