Shared Read-Only Volumes and One Writer

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

worldsense

Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:38 pm

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to see if StarWind is appropriate for my application.

What I need is the ability for multiple servers to have read-only access to the same volume of files at a very high performance level.

I plan to put StarWind on a 48 disk 10k RPM SAS array with 146GB drives.

I need one machine to be able to write new files to the volume and 25-50 machines to be able to read those files.

Is this something that can be done with StarWind?
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:33 am

Unfortunately it's not enough to have only iSCSI target and initiator pair to do this... See, even READER has no clue about data changed by WRITER on the other node. That's why either multiple READERS (no writer at all) or only one WRITER. That's the way SAN works "out-of-box". To solve your issue you have to have installed either complete SAN file system (as SFS from DataPlow) or install metadata arbiter (as MetaSAN from Tiger Technology). Both approaches are working great. And let's know if you'd select MetaSAN - we have "StarWind + MetaSAN" HOWTO manual in pre-release state.
worldsense wrote:Hi Folks,

I'm trying to see if StarWind is appropriate for my application.

What I need is the ability for multiple servers to have read-only access to the same volume of files at a very high performance level.

I plan to put StarWind on a 48 disk 10k RPM SAS array with 146GB drives.

I need one machine to be able to write new files to the volume and 25-50 machines to be able to read those files.

Is this something that can be done with StarWind?
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software