SPTI on a NCIPHER nShield F2 SCSI Unit

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

primey

Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:42 pm

Hi,
I am wondering if its possible to use Starwind to share out a piece on Non Standard SCSI Hardware.

The unit is a NCipher nShield F2.

Is there anyway I can try and get Starwind to interrogate this device?

Although it does contain a 4 gig Hard drive, it is not presented to the system as a Standard HD, but as an unknown device until the Drivers are installed.

I'd like to try and interrogate this device, and use an ISCSI Initiator on a Virtual Guest machine to interrogate and install the Drivers on the guest and connect to it.

Is there anyway I can use Starwind to see this device, which is not present using the Standard GUI.

cheers
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:48 pm

If it has SCSI device ID and symbolic link - we can map it. Drop us a message to info@rocketdivision.com and we'd send you utility to list all of the symbolic links and try SPTI over picked up device name.
primey wrote:Hi,
I am wondering if its possible to use Starwind to share out a piece on Non Standard SCSI Hardware.

Although it does contain a 4 gig Hard drive, it is not presented to the system as a Standard HD, but as an unknown device until the Drivers are installed.

I'd like to try and interrogate this device, and use an ISCSI Initiator on a Virtual Guest machine to interrogate and install the Drivers on the guest and connect to it.

Is there anyway I can use Starwind to see this device, which is not present using the Standard GUI.

cheers
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

Val (staff)

Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:21 pm

primey wrote:Hi,

cheers
SPTI mapping is not recommended with non-standard disk devices.

Instead try using of the ImageFile virtual iSCSI targets over the disk. So your remote clients need know nothing about the disk's internals. They will see a SCSI-3 compatible iSCSI drive and work with it without problems.
Best regards,
Valeriy
primey

Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:22 pm

Is this util still available?

cheers
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:03 am

Probably not...
primey wrote:Is this util still available?

cheers
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software