StarWind Replication

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

scott

Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:51 am

Hi Sir,

Does the StarWind Replication support the RAID-1 / Replicaiton between the local volume and a remote iSCSI volume ?

If yes, can we mirror the local volume to the volume from a remote iSCSI RAID (target) ? Or it has to be another StarWind iSCSI target ?

Thank you.
serge (staff)

Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:11 pm

Hello.

Yes, new StarWind release will include replication. Local volume can be mirrored to another remote iSCSI target (but StarPort driver must be installed in system in that case).

You can download pre-release StarWind version from our ftp site.

There are no documentation in that version for replication so these are some instructions:
To create Mirror device with replication select 'New Image' when adding new Mirror device (Add Device and then select Mirror device). When creating new Mirror image you have to provide nae of Mirror image to be created, and parameters of both mirrors. Each mirror can be local ImageFile image or remote iSCSI device.
When selected 'Remote iSCSI target' target options should be specified. Target parameters are : target address (IP address or hostname), iSCSI target name and cache mode.

Size of created Mirror device is defined as the smallest size of two source mirrors.
Serge
kumacomm

Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:18 pm

When doing a mirror iSCSI, does the Rocket Division Startport driver need to be installed on the remote server, or will the Microsoft iSCSI initiator software work?

I have StarWind for two servers, and will be mirroring one server disk image to the remote server.

Does the remote server need StarWind server AND StarPort driver?

If so, do I have to buy StarPort as well, or can I obtain that for free since I own an Enterprise license for StarWind? Will the free version of the StarPort driver work?

Thanks!
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:53 pm

1) StarPort needs to be installed. As Microsoft did not declare it's initiator API yet (and I don't know about any plans to this).

2) You may experiment with the free version of the StarPort. There's no need to purchase it in any case as it would be free (iSCSI version) soon.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software