iSCSI Enterprise Target

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

tuanduong

Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:15 am

Hi,

Will Starwind disk images operate in IET on Linux and vice versa (IET disk images on Starwind)? I am planning to migrate some IET disk images(large files with no time to copy over from IET image to Starwind image) over for duty on Starwind 3.1.4.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:38 am

StarWind images are nothing except sector-by-setor hard disk data stored. So if IET understands such a format I don't see why the image should not be cross-used. There's on exception however - sparse files (when image is not allocated untill it's not written). You should NOT create such an images with StarWind configuration utility if you plan to cross-use the data between StarWind and Linux-based iSCSI target.
tuanduong wrote:Hi,

Will Starwind disk images operate in IET on Linux and vice versa (IET disk images on Starwind)? I am planning to migrate some IET disk images(large files with no time to copy over from IET image to Starwind image) over for duty on Starwind 3.1.4.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

Val (staff)

Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:48 pm

tuanduong wrote:Hi,

Hi,
as Anton said, there should be no problem with using tha same disk image file in StarWind and IET.

The disk data will be the same, but the only issue is the client machine will see the disk as a new one, as the virtualization layers in StarWind and IET are different.
Best regards,
Valeriy