Big Problems In NYC

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

wgayton

Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:55 am

Installed Starwind and thoroughly tested the software over the 15 day trial.
I noticed the mirroring capability and on request, was sent an ftp link for the version 3.1.6.

So I Installed the New version of starwind restarted the server and BOOM!!

Trial over, no big deal I just got the server addition... Problem is server addition does not have IBvolume support (wish you had clearly stated that in the product details) and of course I have a very important data in an IBvolume. Thinking I would simply be able to remount it with my new license and being very happy with starwinds perforance and stability I confidently put production data on the server.

Ok no big deal again as I have a number of storage servers in the pipline, so I installed v3.1.6 on one of the other storage servers and coppied the ibv files to it. I was able to mount the images with no problems, but now the disks showup on the initiator "size 0" and unreadable/corrupted.

1) I'm hoping for an extension on the trail so I can move the data from the ibv image to a standard image.

And

2) Looking for an answer: is v3.1.6 compatible with v3.1.5 ibv images? can I roll back a version and retrieve my data?

William
wgayton

Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:46 pm

Well?

It's been a few days and as a potential client I’d like to believe I’ll get better treatment after I become a client? Sadly we'll never find out at this rate.

This is not encouraging, can you get in touch with me offline or reply to this message in forum.

Otherwise I’ll send you a copy of the invoice that could have been yours.

Look me and the company I represent up and determine whether or not too reply promptly.

No joke, Will.
Tim

Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:06 pm

Please don't give up on the RDS team, they normally respond quickly.

It's unusual for then to leave a customer waiting.

I will PM you their email addresses.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:17 pm

William,

I'm really sorry it took a bit longer then usual (Tim, thank you vey much for help). We're a bit "head over the heals" these days... Back to your questions:

1) You should get your 45 days prolonged unlimited connections trial key in a few hours. Drop me a message if for some reason you would not get it.

2) Images are compatible with version changes.

3) Do experiments with RAID1.

4) DO NOT TOUCH YOUR IBV DATA UNLESS YOU'VE MADE A BACKUP COPY. We'll bring a technician to point-to-point conversation with you to trace back what was the reason of data loss and how to recover the stuff.
This is very critical issue so we'd appreciate your help.

Thank you very much for your patience and sorry for delayed reply.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

Val (staff)

Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:54 pm

wgayton wrote:Installed Starwind and thoroughly tested the software over the 15 day trial.
I noticed the mirroring capability and on request, was sent an ftp link for the version 3.1.6.

So I Installed the New version of starwind restarted the server and BOOM!!

Trial over, no big deal I just got the server addition... Problem is server addition does not have IBvolume support (wish you had clearly stated that in the product details) and of course I have a very important data in an IBvolume. Thinking I would simply be able to remount it with my new license and being very happy with starwinds perforance and stability I confidently put production data on the server.

Ok no big deal again as I have a number of storage servers in the pipline, so I installed v3.1.6 on one of the other storage servers and coppied the ibv files to it. I was able to mount the images with no problems, but now the disks showup on the initiator "size 0" and unreadable/corrupted.

1) I'm hoping for an extension on the trail so I can move the data from the ibv image to a standard image.

And

2) Looking for an answer: is v3.1.6 compatible with v3.1.5 ibv images? can I roll back a version and retrieve my data?

William
William,

1) Version 3.1.6 should work with 3.1.* IBV images without problems.

2) Could you send us (or cut&paste here) your StarWind service's log file?
Analyzing of the log file should shed some light on the problem.
Best regards,
Valeriy