Info needed about raid1 and dual targets

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

wgayton

Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:07 pm

Just a quick request for some documentation detailing how raid1 works between two targets. I have evaluted... actually tortured and tried to break starwind v3.1.4 to no avail.

I Yanked powercords, offlined disks, forced memory starvation in short everything imaginable to cause a starwind failure. Well it never failed and we love it!!!

Now I need to test the raid1 feature but can find no information (documentation wise) for raid1 targets. Is it posible to forward me what you have?

Lastly; I have already demo'd v3.1.4 and I didn't notice raid1 ... did I simply over look it? If I did can I enable another 15 or so days to test raid1?

Thanks in advance, a very impressed will.
serge (staff)

Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:13 pm

Hello.

RAID - 1 is supported in Mirror plugin. You have to add Mirror device in order to test RAID - 1. Mirror is device is comprised of two ImageFile images (mirrors), so to add Mirror device you have to provide names of two ImageFile images. After it is added, it works according to RAID - 1 specification. Upon write operation data is written to both mirrors, and upon read operation data is read from the active mirror (usually first one).
If you are interested in testing you can test our latest development build that supports replication in Mirror plugin (specifying remote iSCSI targets as mirrors)
Serge
wgayton

Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:38 pm

Hi Serge,

How does one get access to the development build? I would be willing to give it a real workout and provide you with our internal validation data, it may be redudant but interesting depending how much testing is being done by early adopters.

Can you pm or email a link or directions?

Will
serge (staff)

Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:30 am

Hello

I replied via the private message.

Thanks!
Serge