Windows 2003 Cluster and Starwind Errors

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

tykes

Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:12 am

I am trying to build a MS Cluster and cannot get past he first node creation.

It keeps failing to bring the drives online.

Cluster Machine windows 2003 Adv Server

Starwind Target windows 2000 server in same domain

I have set up out of the box with two 3GB drives in a 8gb primary NTFS partition.

Where am I going wrong ?
Alex (staff)
Staff

Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:45 am

Hi,

Please, change LogLevel to 3 in the configuration file (StarWind.conf), restart StarWindService and try to reproduce your ploblem. Then send me, please, the log file you get and your StarWind.conf.
Best regards,
Alexey.
tykes

Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:47 am

Alex (staff) wrote:Hi,

Please, change LogLevel to 3 in the configuration file (StarWind.conf), restart StarWindService and try to reproduce your ploblem. Then send me, please, the log file you get and your StarWind.conf.
how do I attach ?
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:09 am

Also make sure you're creating BASIC disks (dynamic disks are not reactivated automatically till the next initiator release).
tykes wrote:I am trying to build a MS Cluster and cannot get past he first node creation.

I have set up out of the box with two 3GB drives in a 8gb primary NTFS partition.

Where am I going wrong ?
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

Alex (staff)
Staff

Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:16 am

tykes wrote:how do I attach ?
It seems you already found my e-mail. :) I got your logs and analyse them now. Thanks.
Best regards,
Alexey.
Alex (staff)
Staff

Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:28 am

tykes wrote:I am trying to build a MS Cluster and cannot get past he first node creation.
Where am I going wrong ?
Try to use MS iSCSI Initiator instead of StarPort in the same situation. Just to isolate the problem.
Best regards,
Alexey.
Val (staff)

Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:30 am

Where am I going wrong ?
Hi Tykes,

If I got it right way you are trying to build your cluster using the 2 machines (Win2003 Server and Win2000 Server), am I right?

BTW which iSCSI initiator are you using? MS one or our StarPort or something else?

Do you mean your remote dynamic disks stay marked 'Offline' after a system reboot?
This is an iSCSI initiator's issue and we know about it.
We'are planning to implement auto onlining of dynamic disks in the next StarPort Initiator release...
IIRC MS iSCSI Initiator also has such an ability. Please look at their docs for more details...
[/b]
Best regards,
Valeriy

Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:37 am

Alex (staff) wrote:
Where am I going wrong ?
Try to use MS iSCSI Initiator instead of StarPort in the same situation. Just to isolate the problem.
Thank I tried the MS initiator whick had the same issue

Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:42 am

valery (staff) wrote:

Where am I going wrong ?
Hi Tykes,

If I got it right way you are trying to build your cluster using the 2 machines (Win2003 Server and Win2000 Server), am I right?

BTW which iSCSI initiator are you using? MS one or our StarPort or something else?

Do you mean your remote dynamic disks stay marked 'Offline' after a system reboot?
We'are planning to implement auto onlining of dynamic disks in the next StarPort Initiator release...
IIRC MS iSCSI Initiator also has such an ability. Please look at their docs for more details...
[/b]
Not quite the file starwind sw is on the windows 200 machine and I am trying to build the first node of a cluster.

I have tried the ms initiatior 1.05

the windows 2000 box has 1 drive which is a basic ( not dynamic disk) with three partitions. 1 Primary 1, 1 secondary with two partitions. I am mounting the cluster drive on a directory on the first logical drive on the secondary partition and have tried NTFS and FAT32 formatiing

Do you have a procedure to build a cluster solution using Starwind as the SAN source which is known to work as I can start from of clean slate if need be.

Thanks
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:54 am

That's (commonly used scenario to build a cluster) what we're trying to do right now... Using user's feedback.
Anonymous wrote:
valery (staff) wrote:
tykes wrote:
Do you have a procedure to build a cluster solution using Starwind as the SAN source which is known to work as I can start from of clean slate if need be.

Thanks
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Val (staff)

Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:40 pm

We have recently found an issue that leads to the current StarWind release is unable to work in clustering architectures.
We are working on it. I hope it will be fixed in a couple of days.

Thank you for the feedback. It helped us a lot.
Best regards,
Valeriy
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:59 pm

Yes, please check Valery's orignal post. And you'll have to download new StarWind (we've fixed MS clustering issue).

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=starw ... com&rnum=1
Anonymous wrote:
valery (staff) wrote:

Where am I going wrong ?
Hi Tykes,

[/b]
Not quite the file starwind sw is on the windows 200 machine and I am trying to build the first node of a cluster.

I have tried the ms initiatior 1.05

the windows 2000 box has 1 drive which is a basic ( not dynamic disk) with three partitions. 1 Primary 1, 1 secondary with two partitions. I am mounting the cluster drive on a directory on the first logical drive on the secondary partition and have tried NTFS and FAT32 formatiing

Thanks
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev