Dynamic vs Basic

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

Thesun

Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:04 pm

I downloaded the demo version of StarWind and StarPort. I can create IBVolumes on the target running W2k3 and connect to these via StarPort on the client running W2K3. When I go into disk management and format the new drives presented to the operating system on the client, and assign drive letters, all appears fine until I reboot the client machine. When it comes back online, the drives formatted as Basic show as online. The dynamic drives show connected via StarPort, but are offline in the operating system and have to be reactivated. Is this a know problem with dynamic drives? Also, I thought that the IBVolumes where supposed to automatically grow when capacity was reached (as long as you checked the box), however mine is not doing that. I get an out of space warning when reaching capacity.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:56 pm

You need to stick with "basic" drives until next version of StarPort would not be released (it would contan the code to "activate" off-line "dynamic" disks). Microsoft has dropped support for "dynamic" iSCSI disks and don't have plans to turn in back on AFAIK.
Thesun wrote:I downloaded the demo version of StarWind and StarPort. I can create IBVolumes on the target running W2k3 and connect to these via StarPort on the client running W2K3. When I go into disk management and format the new drives presented to the operating system on the client, and assign drive letters, all appears fine until I reboot the client machine. When it comes back online, the drives formatted as Basic show as online. The dynamic drives show connected via StarPort, but are offline in the operating system and have to be reactivated. Is this a know problem with dynamic drives? Also, I thought that the IBVolumes where supposed to automatically grow when capacity was reached (as long as you checked the box), however mine is not doing that. I get an out of space warning when reaching capacity.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

Thesun

Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:09 pm

What about the non-growing IBVolume problem?
Val (staff)

Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:30 am

Thesun wrote:What about the non-growing IBVolume problem?
Hi,
An IBVolume grows from zero up to its size. You need to specify the limit on creation of a volume.
Best regards,
Valeriy