[Question] The operating system of the server

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

creplave

Thu May 25, 2006 3:37 pm

Can I use the windows xp professional sp2 to be my operating system of the server ? What are the differences between windows xp and windows 2003 ? which 1 better for the starwind ?

Windows xp only 10 concurrent file sharing connections are allowed at any moment , our company has more than 50 computers , so what can we do if more than 10 computers connecting to the starwind system ?
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu May 25, 2006 11:06 pm

If you don't use any special features of the MS enterprise server environment (like more RAM, more then one physical CPU supported etc) there's virtually no difference between 2003 Enterprise Server and XP Home. Feel free to save some $100-$2000 on server OS license.

Just buy more then 10 concurrent connections.
creplave wrote:Can I use the windows xp professional sp2 to be my operating system of the server ? What are the differences between windows xp and windows 2003 ? which 1 better for the starwind ?

Windows xp only 10 concurrent file sharing connections are allowed at any moment , our company has more than 50 computers , so what can we do if more than 10 computers connecting to the starwind system ?
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

creplave

Thu May 25, 2006 11:17 pm

[quote="anton (staff)"]

quote]

thank your for your replied, i mean the windows xp professional is limited to 10 concurrent connections at once to a shared folder,so if i using windows xp pro to be my server's os , how do i remove the limit on TCP connection attempts, does starwind use the windows file sharing method ?
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu May 25, 2006 11:20 pm

StarWind has nothing to do with shared folders or any stuff like that. There's no limits for number of incoming TCP connections so theoretical number of iSCSI connections StarWind can handle is unlimited as well.
creplave wrote:
anton (staff) wrote:

quote]

thank your for your replied, i mean the windows xp professional is limited to 10 concurrent connections at once to a shared folder,so if i using windows xp pro to be my server's os , how do i remove the limit on TCP connection attempts, does starwind use the windows file sharing method ?
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software