RAID feature (using demo version)

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

spiv

Sat May 20, 2006 9:32 am

I'm using the demo version and have a question about using RAID. When I try to add a device the option for RAID 1 is greyed out. I assume this is a limitation of the demo version - can you explain how this works with the full version?

Specifically, how is this different/better than using the software RAID capability in Windows Device Manager (Windows Server 2003) to create RAID using Windows dynamic volumes?
serge (staff)

Sat May 20, 2006 12:05 pm

Hello.

Mirror (RAID - 1) plugin is not enabled in that build.
It will become part of the next build that should become available in a few days
Serge
spiv

Sat May 20, 2006 3:17 pm

Thanks!

Can you explain how the feature works. Sorry for sounding like a newbie but the online help/docs do not explain what this option (when available) will do.

I'm just looking for a quick overview that explains the benefit of using this option and any limitations or additional requirements.
serge (staff) wrote:Hello.

Mirror (RAID - 1) plugin is not enabled in that build.
It will become part of the next build that should become available in a few days
serge (staff)

Sun May 21, 2006 9:10 am

Hello.

Mirror plugin enables you to combine two images into a failover mirror to ensure data reliability. This feature emulates RAID 1 support.

When data is written to mirror device it is writen to both images so that second image becomes a mirror of the first (main) image.

The benefit is improved data reliability and when two local images are used to create a mirror there are no usage limitations
Serge