Different Disk Read Speeds of VM use LUN Disks.

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

curry99

Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:53 am

The LUN disks created using StarWind on two different ESXi virtual hosts surprisingly exhibit different disk read speeds.
Is this a bug in the software version? I am using CVM Version 20231016, Version V8 (build 15260).
1.png
1.png (194.49 KiB) Viewed 2553 times
2.png
2.png (201.28 KiB) Viewed 2553 times

Furthermore, I would like to inquire whether my configuration is correct. In my environment, there are two hosts connected via four cables (two for sync and two for iSCSI), without any switches in between.
If I don't choose this configuration, my sync network intermittently disconnects unless one of the connections is set to standby.
3.png
3.png (65.22 KiB) Viewed 2553 times
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:32 am

Welcome to StarWind Forum.
Please note that teaming is not recommended. For network redundancy (if links are of the same bandwidth), just set up 2x paths for a type of traffic and let MPIO do the job.
Speaking of different performances for the array, is it a software RAID or hardware? It might be necessary to recreate the RAID array on the slowest one. Please also make sure the hardware is identical.

P.s. CrystalDiskmark is not the best piece of software for tests. use FIO or diskspeed (way better opportunities for setting fine-tuning).
DanielTon

Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:57 am

What if we intentionally configure non-recommended TCP/IP settings on a StarWind Virtual SAN deployment, how would it affect the overall performance and stability of the system? Has anyone experimented with unconventional TCP/IP settings and observed any unexpected outcomes?
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:28 am

Hi,

May I wonder what exactly are you planning to make?
You might get an unsupported configuration at some point and we cannot guarantee the solution's performance or stability (risk of split-brain, synchronization drops, performance issues due to slow transfers, longer synchronization, etc.).