Creating/Managing Storage Pool via Shell?

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

jhaiColeman

Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:15 am

I have 2x ESXi hosts and I'm following the 2HA guide (supplied to me by StarWind sales team) - https://www.starwindsoftware.com/resour ... chine-cvm/

I'm at the "Configuring StarWind Storage on Top of Hardware RAID" section, and step 6 says to configure the storage pool for my 2 nodes via the StarWind Management Console (Windows). However as I have the free version, there is no option to manage the storage pool, and I get the pop-up mentioned in the article only when I connect my local PC which is added as a server by default. This only gives me an option to point the pool to my C:\ drive, and doesn't apply any settings to the SW nodes. In advanced config on the SW nodes, it just shows the storage pool as 'VSA Storage\mnt\'.

I'm wondering if there is a way to map this using the shell? I have searched extensively and can't find any guides or anyone else mentioning this issue with the free version on the forums.

Any advice is appreciated.
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:13 am

Welcome to StarWind Forum.
The free version does not impose any restrictions on the Web UI. You still can create a storage pool and manage it. However, I think you might benefit more from this guide https://www.starwindsoftware.com/resour ... ng-web-ui/ (go to Add Physical Disks). I would assume that your WEB UI looks more similar to that guide.
Also, it seems that you performed a full install of StarWind VSAN for Hyper-V instead of Management Console. Just a quick question: did the Windows-based console ask for the license? If it did, you will need to uninstall it from Windows, and install it again but this time select Management Console from the dropdown menu and check the Integration Component Library option.

Let me know if you have more questions.