No option for LSFS / Thin drive

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

chell

Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:53 pm

Its been a while since I played with starwind. I have installed starwind 8 with my NFR licence on windows 11 ent.
I am not getting the option to create a LSFS drive. Is there a limitation with windows 11 or has the licences changed?
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:16 pm

Welcome back!
Yes, sadly, LSFS was deprecated in new releases. Also, desktop OS's are supported only for Management Console installation.
DanielTon

Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:04 pm

Is it possible to recover data from a StarWind SANAS system that has suffered a catastrophic failure, such as multiple disk failures or a power outage? Are there any recommended data recovery techniques or tools specifically designed for StarWind SANAS environments?
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:21 pm

If you have more disks failed than your RAID can handle you won't recover your data, you'll have to restore from backups. It's no different from any other storage vendor on the planet. If for whatever reason you have no backups you might bring your disks to the recovery vendor and they could try to get SOME of the data back. Portions of file or whatever. If your disk is dead for you they can read it still in MOST of the cases. StarWind uses standard Linux or Windows software RAID disk layout so nothing exciting here or what your recovery vendor can't do. Bad news: it's PRO work only, you won't be able to do anything as a user (expect trash more data).
DanielTon wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:04 pm
Is it possible to recover data from a StarWind SANAS system that has suffered a catastrophic failure, such as multiple disk failures or a power outage? Are there any recommended data recovery techniques or tools specifically designed for StarWind SANAS environments?
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software