Details on rescan procedure at VSAN Appliance

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

Muecke_63

Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:31 pm

Good evening,

i have setup the rescan script under /opt/StarWind/StarWindVSA/drive_c/StarWind/hba_rescan.ps1
The manual test with sudo /opt/StarWind/StarWindVSA/drive_c/StarWind/hba_rescan.ps1 runs fine.
The ESXi host track the login and do the changes to Multipath Policy.
However when i restart the hosts with autostart for VSAN Appliance there is no script triggered and the Datastore stays offline.

Where is the script executed on Appliance Startup?

Thanks for your patience.
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:27 pm

Glad to hear from you again :)
To make sure I am reading it right: no rescan happens when you reboot both servers at the same time?

Just let me ask questions to let me better understand the situation.
Is it a standalone deployment of StarWind VSAN?
If it is HA deployment, does the rescan happen locally?
Is it hyperconverged deployment (i.e., you rescan the host where StarWind VSAN VM is running) or compute and storage separated (i.e., you rescan the remote host where you connect the storage)?
Are all the privileges for the rescan role still in place? Can I have the screenshot, please?
Did you associate the user and role? In ESXi WEB UI, Right-click ESXi host -> Manage -> select user -> select role -> add user.

Cheers,
Muecke_63

Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:30 am

yaroslav (staff) wrote:Glad to hear from you again :)
To make sure I am reading it right: no rescan happens when you reboot both servers at the same time?

Just let me ask questions to let me better understand the situation.
Is it a standalone deployment of StarWind VSAN?
If it is HA deployment, does the rescan happen locally?
Is it hyperconverged deployment (i.e., you rescan the host where StarWind VSAN VM is running) or compute and storage separated (i.e., you rescan the remote host where you connect the storage)?
Are all the privileges for the rescan role still in place? Can I have the screenshot, please?
Did you associate the user and role? In ESXi WEB UI, Right-click ESXi host -> Manage -> select user -> select role -> add user.

Cheers,
it is an hyperconverged deployment with 2 ESXi hosts each hosts 1 VSAN Virtual Appliance in HA Sync Mode (works fine) and i can initiate an rescan through powershell script from the VSAN Virtual Appliance to it`s host, when i start the script via terminal manually.
It is a dedicated user created with the needed role on each host, and the user is associated on the host level and sub level for permission with the role.

Only thing which not works is the automated rescan when the VSAN Appliances are restarted.
It comes also no type of log entry at the esxi hosts when the appliances are restarted, neither login messages and also no denied message.
It seems to be that the Appliances not triggers the script at startup at all.
When i start the script manually using the created rescan user in script everything runs fine.

Thanks,
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-01-18 012735.png
Screenshot 2024-01-18 012735.png (40.44 KiB) Viewed 5690 times
Screenshot 2024-01-18 012707.png
Screenshot 2024-01-18 012707.png (45.96 KiB) Viewed 5690 times
Muecke_63

Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:34 am

I also think that have to create an systemd service for startup via systemctl at boot.
Like the scheduled task in Task Planer of WIndows Server when StarwindVSA Service is started?
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:00 am

This is very strange, to be honest. Can I peek into the logs collected with the log collector as described here https://knowledgebase.starwindsoftware. ... collector/?
Also, just an advice: at some point, the rescan privilege may be broken. Remove the rescan role -> recreate it with the solid checked checkboxes for Global, Host, and System. Often ESXi user privileges get broken on host restart.
Like the scheduled task in Task Planer of WIndows Server when StarwindVSA Service is started?
As a workaround, you could add "partner gets synchronized" and "partner gets not synchronized events to" /opt/StarWind/StarWindVSA/drive_c/StarWind/logwatcher. See more on event IDs at https://www.starwindsoftware.com/help/E ... dVSAN.html. There should be some default events too.
DanielTon

Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:02 pm

Is it possible to replace a failed node in a VSAN Free setup with an unconventional hardware component, such as a Raspberry Pi or a high-performance gaming GPU, to achieve cost-effective scalability without compromising performance?
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:08 pm

Hi,

Unless it is a lab, I'd go for industry-scale hardware.
StarWind VSAN is hardware agnostic, meaning that it can be deployed on anything that meets its system requirements with the supported hypervisor on top (you can find the list of supported platforms here https://www.starwindsoftware.com/downlo ... d-products)
Raspberry PI seems fun to try. However, I am worried about network redundancy in the setup. It can act as a Witness though.
Make sure it is on HCL's list of something that runs StarWind VSAN.
DanielTon

Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:04 am

Can StarWind NVMe-oF Initiator's free deduplication analyzer effectively enhance RDMA performance benchmarks, and if so, how does it compare to other competing solutions in the market?
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:07 pm

The dedupe analyzer just helps to see the benefits of deduplication in the system by checking the number of unique blocks. See more https://www.starwindsoftware.com/resour ... -analyzer/
RDMA benchmarking took is rperf see more https://www.starwindsoftware.com/starwind-rperf.
They are different products.