SAN and NAS disk tasks fail through GUI

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

elzorroazul7

Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:59 pm

I have the SAN and NAS Free baremetal .iso installed as Ubuntu guest OS on ESXi host running on Dell Precision T7610 with LSI 2308 RAID controller passed through to VM. SAN and NAS can see the disks but fails to create a pool using the GUI (task fails). Through the cli, I can create a software raid pool, create/mount a filesystem, and make this persistent during each boot. SAN and NAS GUI can see the pool that's created (listed as legacy pool), can see the filesystem mounted, but I am unable to create any iSCSI targets through the GUI, as the volume/pool fails to import (I believe that's what it said).

Is there any issue with my configuration that would prevent SAN and NAS Free from working properly? lspci shows the passed through hardware raid controller, so I believe that the vm is working as it should. I'm not familiar with deploying the vSphere appliance, otherwise I would test that too.
elzorroazul7

Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:09 am

Update:

I installed the appliance as a ovf, also flashed the raid controller into IT mode, and I am now able to create storage pools, etc.

Problem solved!
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:22 pm

Thanks for your update!