Witness Not Synchronized, CSV1 Synchornizing

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

edmacfly

Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:36 pm

Our two StarWind servers were restarted incorrectly, and it appears to have upset the cluster. I can see the main CSV1 drive is doing a full synchronize (upwards of 7 hours) but at present, the Witness drive is not synchornized. Should I expect the Witness drive to kick back in to life when the CSV1 has finished synchronizing, or will I need to do something else to get systems running again? Also, is it correct that I cannot see any of my main cluster files in their mounted location while this full resync is taking place? Thanks.
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:37 am

Hi, and welcome to StarWind Forum.
Should I expect the Witness drive to kick back in to life when the CSV1 has finished synchronizing
Synchronization runs for the devices one by one.
In most cases, that's correct. May I wonder if the witness synchronized on one node and not synchronized on another?
Also, is it correct that I cannot see any of my main cluster files in their mounted location while this full resync is taking place? Thanks.
That's not correct. StarWind HA device should be visible to all cluster nodes from its only synchronized partner.
Provided that the cluster is up, CSV should be up to. Do you have Domain controllers in the cluster? If so, see this KB https://knowledgebase.starwindsoftware. ... san-usage/ and move them out of the cluster. You can force-start the cluster as described here https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/s ... rver-ver16.
Finally, make sure the CSV is connected to all cluster nodes over iSCSI.
edmacfly

Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:45 am

Thank you for the info about the DC. That was the case, and this is the only time it has been an issue - it is now removed from the cluster. The syncing is still going (not the fastest hardware in the land) but I can now access the storage and our infrastructure is back up and running. The Witness is still showing as unsynchornized on both nodes; my intention is to wait and see what happens once the full sync is finished then report back.
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:11 am

Hi,

Thanks for your update. Please move the DC out of the CSV.
If witness is out of sync, you need to mark any side as synchronized by running the Sync status scripts or changing the HA header.
Marking device as synchronized via GUI, or script can be anytime, while the service is running.
HA header change requires stopping the service. So, please wait for sync to complete.
edmacfly

Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:56 am

Which is the correct script please? Thanks once again.
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:55 am

Please see ShyncHaDevice.ps1 script. There is a line for marking the device as synchronized.
edmacfly

Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:08 pm

And just like that, all sorted. Thanks once again for your support of this excellent solution.
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:08 pm

Hi,
I am glad to know that it worked.
You are always welcome!
DanielTon

Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:49 pm

Is it possible to convert a virtual machine from one hypervisor to another with StarWind V2V Converter? If so, what are the potential challenges and considerations during the conversion process?
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:55 pm

You can convert between hypervisors.
See more on conversion scenarios https://www.starwindsoftware.com/v2v-he ... tions.html and https://www.starwindsoftware.com/v2v-help/Concept.html