How to recover data from StarWind SAN&NAS

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

valerymartyshko

Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:42 pm

Hi! I need to recover data from a crashed RAID with StarWind SAN&NAS operating system. How to recover data from a RAID level 5 with the XFS file system?
Are there specific tools or methods recommended for data recovery from a virtual NAS like StarWind SAN&NAS?
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:57 pm

Hi,
Sorry to read that. Could you please tell me more about the issue and how exactly you ended up with corrupted data?
Also, how does the corruption of data manifest itself? Are those the VMs who cannot start or anything like that?
valerymartyshko

Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:01 am

yaroslav (staff) wrote:Hi,
Sorry to read that. Could you please tell me more about the issue and how exactly you ended up with corrupted data?
Also, how does the corruption of data manifest itself? Are those the VMs who cannot start or anything like that?
yes it is, the virtual machine does not start. At some point, it simply stopped loading.

By the way, I have already found some programs that can read damaged disks of virtual machines. I will test it now.
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:29 pm

Thanks for your update.
yes it is, the virtual machine does not start. At some point, it simply stopped loading.
Is it SAN and NAS VM or the client VM? If that's Starwind SAN & NAS VM, having a screenshot of the error will be helpful.
May I wonder what was done before the incident?
valerymartyshko

Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:47 pm

yaroslav (staff) wrote:Thanks for your update.
Is it SAN and NAS VM or the client VM? If that's Starwind SAN & NAS VM, having a screenshot of the error will be helpful.
May I wonder what was done before the incident?
It is a client VM (VMWare).
The error appeared after the equipment was turned off, as a result of a power failure.
Attachments
StarWind VM Error
StarWind VM Error
Screenshot_1.png (42.21 KiB) Viewed 6125 times
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:08 pm

Hi,

Correct me if I am reading it wrong. You have an issue with booting a StarWind SAN & NAS VM, not the client VM.
It looks like you got a snapshot corrupted, meaning that the issue is to be addressed on the virtualization layer (i.e., outside the SAN & NAS world). Can you please try changing the config to read from the bulk virtual machine disk, not from the checkpoint (beware of data loss).
valerymartyshko

Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:00 am

Can you please try changing the config to read from the bulk virtual machine disk, not from the checkpoint (beware of data loss).
Please let me know how I can do this. I didn't quite understand
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:21 am

Hi,

Please note that this case falls under hypervisor behaviors trouleshooting.
What hypervisor you use?
valerymartyshko

Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:03 am

Please note that this case falls under hypervisor behaviors trouleshooting.
What hypervisor you use?
VMWare
valerymartyshko

Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:26 am

valerymartyshko wrote:
By the way, I have already found some programs that can read damaged disks of virtual machines. I will test it now.
I came across an article about data recovery from StarWind SAN&NAS. In it, data was restored using the program - Hetman RAID Recovery. I downloaded and mounted the disk of my idle virtual machine to it. Program read it and displayed my data.

If you help restore the virtual machine, I will be grateful. If it doesn't work, then I will restore the data with this program.
Attachments
Screenshot_6.png
Screenshot_6.png (69.79 KiB) Viewed 6057 times
Last edited by valerymartyshko on Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:43 pm

Hi,

I think the easiest way will be restoring data with the third-party app you mentioned.