Starwind vSAN Free - OVA or CVM?

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

benage

Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:40 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at trialing the vSAN free version, but I'm confused as to whether the CVM deployment is supported with the free license.
E.g., if I deploy the CVM and use a trial license, cant it then be converted to a free one without redeploying?

Also, what is the difference between vSAN and the vHCI appliance? They appear to be the same product but assume there are other services attached, but it's not clear from a technology perspective the real difference.

Lastly, is the Windows management client being deprecated in favour of the web UI?

Thanks in advance :-)
Cheers,
Ben
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:19 pm

Hi,

Welcome to StarWind forum!
No, you cannot convert to free from trial.
Also, what is the difference between vSAN and the vHCI appliance
In a nutshell, vHCI is a service bundled with software. vHCI is xoming with spec and migration assistance. It also includes ProActive Monitoring https://www.starwindsoftware.com/starwi ... ve-support. You can learn more from the person who provided you the key or support@starwind.com.
Lastly, is the Windows management client being deprecated in favour of the web UI?
Yes, in long run yes.

Let me know if you have more questions!
benage

Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:47 am

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it!
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:09 am

You are welcome!
vmware

Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:50 pm

yaroslav (staff) wrote:Hi,

In a nutshell, vHCI is a service bundled with software. vHCI is xoming with spec and migration assistance. It also includes ProActive Monitoring https://www.starwindsoftware.com/starwi ... ve-support. You can learn more from the person who provided you the key or support@starwind.com.
However, in terms of operation and management convenience, it is still more convenient to manage clients and unify management
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:27 am

Hi,

IMO, management became even better with the UI-enabled CVM as compared to the previous versions.
Try it out in the trial deployments!
informinfielder

Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:11 am

yaroslav (staff) wrote:Hi,

Yes, in long run yes.

Let me know if you have more questions!
I'm having the same problem and I can't send messages to this email.
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:35 am

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. The email is working (we were reached by the end-user to it). Make sure you did not make a typo.