vSAN on Windows Server issue

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

i.ganchev

Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:39 am

Hi guys,

i am new to starwind and trying to install vSAN free on windows server 2019/2022 to present iscsi storage to 3 esxi hosts for lab.

After installation starwind-v8 full to the bare metal server with windows server 2019 and run management console, i make connection to 127.0.0.1 with default user and pass. In this moment all is ok. After first connect to the server, management console asks me to configure pool. My pool is local drive E: on the machine. After set the pool and server is present in the management console, i cant see any pool under the server.
No option to create pool. In configure tab, in advanced settings, no button to edit configuration. All is grayed.
The only available options in management console is add or remove server and nothing else. All grayed.

I try to repeat the procedure - new windows installation (this time server 2022), same result.

I also tried to install vSAN in one of my esxi hosts like a appliance and management console to another windows computer and trying to manage the vSAN appliance through management console but same result. No pool to the server.

Can someone help me with?

Thanks ;)
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:44 pm

Welcome to StarWind Forum.
StarWind VSAN Free does not allow for the Management Console GUI.
Please use scripts, or request a trial license (it has GUI).
NOTE: IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO SWITCH TO FREE FROM TRIAL. OS HAS TO BE REINSTALLED.
i.ganchev

Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:12 am

Oh, i understand.
Thank you!
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:26 am

You are welcome.