Virtual DVD - VSAN Free

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

unixwizard

Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:16 am

I recently built a home lab to support personal development and testing. I have doing extensive testing on the performance of Storage Spaces Direct and Storage Spaces with variants of mirror, stripe, parity, etc. While searching for better alternatives(enough said about SSD) I ran across StarWind. One of the things that interested me was the ability to try it out and even use it for free. So I downloaded the free edition, got a license, installed it on a Windows Server 2022 box. I was going to try about something that I thought would be simple, creating a virtual DVD from an image file on a local drive. I found out you cant use the GUI with free. Disappointing but there are PowerShell commands so that's fine. Problem is, I don't see any of the commandlets that allow me to create a virtual DVD. I see the dlls are there, the debug symbols are there, and the product documentation/help leads me to believe that VSAN Free supports Virtual CD/DVDs....but there is no powershell example and the gui doesnt work, so how do I create one? I did search the forums but came up with nothing useful.

Thanks for the help!
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:02 pm

Hi,

If your project is shorter than 1 months, try StarWind VSAN trial version. It gives you access to the GUI, allowing to fulfill the project.
Please note that you cannot use another trial or free key once you arm the trial key.