Importing iSCSI Image File

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

blueapex

Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:58 pm

OS SSD in my server died taking the VSAN configuration with it including the iSCSI target I was using for my vSphere lab. Image File I'm using for the iSCSI target is on a separate SSD which is fine.

How do I import this Image File back into StarWind VSAN while maintaining the datastore that's on it?

Thanks for any assistance, I would really like to avoid having to rebuild all the servers I have in the Image File.

Cheers - ba
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:30 am

There is a risky way to marry the existing *.cfg and with the newly created VM. It is risky because you can corrupt data if HA device labels do not match.
The safer one is removing old replicas from the affected node. Run to the active node RemoveHaPartner script -> Remove the .img and .swdsk files from the underlying storage of the affected node -> run to the active node AddHaPartner script in StarWind Scripts.
blueapex

Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:05 pm

Sorry, I'm not explaining this clearly, there's also the possibility that I'm not using the ideal StarWind product.

I had StarWind Virtual SAN v8 installed on a Windows OS that's running on bare metal and which had an iSCSI target configured using StarWind. This target was being mounted as a datastore on my vSphere cluster and the Image File for the iSCSI target is on a dedicated SSD. When my Windows OS SSD died I lost the StarWind iSCSI config that was setup.

I've installed StarWind Virtual SAN V8 on my newly built Windows OS and now would like to import the iSCSI Image file that's on the SSD.

According to the docs this could be done by Add Device via the GUI, however the license I have doesn't support GUI management, only Powershell.

Is there a way to obtain a temp GUI license, or alternatively import via Powershell?

Thanks!

ba
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:31 pm

Greetings,

This part of the guide should do it. Free version does not have GUI access, so you will need to use PowerShell Scripts.
In a nutshell, what you need to do is remove replica to the old system and recreate it from the "healthy" node. You will also need to set up the VM networking. Then, you will need to make sure rescan script works (see https://www.starwindsoftware.com/resour ... phere-6-5/).
Run to the active node RemoveHaPartner script -> Remove the .img and .swdsk files from the underlying storage of the affected node -> run to the active node AddHaPartner script in StarWind Scripts.

Once replication is over, rescan the storage.