Windows 2003 Target Question

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

hapike

Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:39 pm

Hi, I am an iSCSI newbie and am trying to setup an extra Hard Drive to be accessible via iSCSI.

I am trying to understand what this step accomplishes and whether this was what I wanted.

4) add ImageFile1 -file:"j:\temp\image1.dat" -clustered:yes

In a single server I have 2 hard drives, one running win2003 and the other contains a single ntfs partition with no OS. I would like to expose this extra hard drive via iSCSI to be shared as my quorum resource in an MSCS cluster.

From MS iSCSI initiator I am able to see the target, but I am not sure how to know this is the right location or the size of this reference. This seems to create a 16 MB that I can see in the Computer Management Console and from the Device Manager. How do I extend this to use a larger portion of my extra Hard Drive?

Thanks!

--Hilary
Val (staff)

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:20 pm

Hi,

To create a quorum disk for a cluster you need to use the ImageFile plug-in to create a virtual file-based iSCSI target.

1) Format you second hard drive to NTFS.
2) Create an ImageFIle target located on the partition using the StarWind GUI. Don't forget to check 'Clustering' for the target.
3) Connect your iSCSI initiator(s) too the iSCSI device.

Please use the online help to find more information about StarWind and its capabilities.
Best regards,
Valeriy