StarWind VSAN Free - how to put into maintenance mode?

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

mvalpreda

Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:11 pm

Need to reboot one of the nodes in a 2-node Hyper-V cluster. Have drained all the roles to one of the nodes. Can't find a CLI command to put 'Witness' and 'CSV1' into maintenance mode.
Last time I just rebooted, I ended up with a full sync that took 22 hours. Don't want to have that happen again!
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:08 pm

Rebooting a server does not need maintenance mode enabled. Please see the reboot procedure https://knowledgebase.starwindsoftware. ... installed/.
Please also see more about the maintenance mode itself www.starwindsoftware.com/help/MaintenanceMode.html.
Furthermore, full synchronization after a restart is not normal. Please check this out https://knowledgebase.starwindsoftware. ... may-start/.
mvalpreda

Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:54 pm

The link about maintenance mode does not apply to the free version. Is there a PowerShell or other command to put it into maintenance mode?
This last time I drained the roles and then shut down the StarWind service(s) before reboot and didn't have a full sync after the node came back online.
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:42 pm

The link about maintenance mode does not apply to the free version. Is there a PowerShell or other command to put it into maintenance mode?
The link I shared describes what maintenance mode is and why enabling it might be needed. What I was trying to say is that Maintenance Mode is not intended to be enabled for a node restart. Please consider following the recommended restart procedure.
You can enable it with MaintenanceMode.ps1 from C:\Program Files\StarWind Software\StarWind\StarWindX\Samples\powershell
This last time I drained the roles and then shut down the StarWind service(s) before reboot and didn't have a full sync after the node came back online.
Please note the role drain is to be related to Failover Cluster, not StarWind VSAN.
Did you stop StarWindService on all or 2 nodes at a time?
Did you wait for fast synchronization to complete prior to reboot?
Finally, do you have a Write Back cache? If yes, did you flush it before restarting a node?

Let me know if you have more questions.